Chicken louse??

Mizzy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 15, 2010
Ooltewah
Hey guys,
Today I went over to get a couple white silkie chickens from someone. They are 4 months old and kinda small for their size, but didn't look sick or anything. I figure she just wasn't feeding them as much as they should have (she is having a lot of problems atm) So with some nice medicated food I figure I can fatten them up. I gave them a bath in some dawn and cleaned all the poo off their feet and nails.

Anyway, I went to check on them under the light...she said she was still keeping them under a light in the house still...so i was going to wean them to the outside and not shock them etc... and I saw that one of them had what looked like a louse on it. I got a puppy from someone awhile back and it had the exact looking thing on it. Anyway, as I sit here and itch (i know I cant get it but still just the thought) I was wondering what on earth can I use on the chicken? I only saw one and I assume it came up to the surface because I gave the bird a bath. I have other babies that are only a week old and I don't want them to get it. I know I have to keep the chickens seperated until I know the new birds are healthy, but how far away should they be seperated? Can louse jump because I'd hate for one to jump on me then get on the babies.

Sorry if this seems a silly question, but I don't want my other birds getting anything. I also have a couple bigger birds that stay outside and I just don't want an outbreak of bugs. For my puppy all he had on it was one little bug and I had no other problems. I'm new at chickens, so any help would be appreciated
Thanks

btw - i read on the net that louse can cause weight loss in birds. I was wondering if that is why they are so tiny at 4 months.

You need to thoroughly inspect your chickens for lice/mites, especially around the vent area and under the wings. If you see any, use sevin dust to treat them, then redust them in 10 days. You'll need to do the same thing in their house etc..

I'm not sure what kind of a bug that could be, but, with our birds, I've found that Sevin dust works well. I think it takes care of most bugs. There are two types of Sevin dust. I forget what the numbers are, but the one to use is the lower one. You can use it on very young birds, too. I used it on a starling chick for red mites, and he was fine.

ok, thanks! I have some sevin dust from where we had a flea problem a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure if it was safe on chickens this age. Thank you for your help!

Oh Lordy...I know what you mean. DH and I picked up a bantam d'uccle this past weekend, and I found a louse on him. I couldn't stop digging at my scalp after that...lol. That first night we dusted him down really well with DE. Same concept as the Seven...be sure to protect the eyes/nostrils. The next day I sprayed him with Adams, especially under the wings, tail area, etc. He's probably 2 lbs, and didn't seem to react to the spray. We've been treating his feet for leg mites, and while he's soaking, I've been inspecting him, and haven't found any more so far. But most suggest treating again within two weeks to get any eggs that might hatch.
I'm with you...keep them separated until you're certain they're cleared up. You don't want your others getting anything...

Back
Top Bottom