Chicken love and chicken sadness

belila

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2023
Hi, I'm Belila, and I have had chickens since Mother's Day of 2022. I didn't plan on being a chicken mom, but after a bit of a shock, I accepted the surprise gift from my kids. I went in pretty unprepared! My kids are older, two away at college now and one finishing high school (the human kids, not the chickens). I think they were worried I'd be bored without them to take care of, so they replaced themselves with chickens! I wouldn't have been bored, and I was looking forward to the quiet house and less work, but it's been a wonderful experience, all in all, even though I didn't initially "choose" it. I started with three chicks, a heat lamp, and a swimming pool in a shed. Moved them out to the coop they sleep in every night, and got a run and a routine established. I loved it!! They stay mainly in the coop/run, but pretty much everyday barring the worst weather, I take them for a walk (about an hour) around the perimeter of our acre. I do a little gardening as we walk, and that's my exercise for the day too.

Sadly, a coyote somehow got under the fence of their run and took one of them last week, which is how I found this forum. The guilt and sadness are hard, and I realized how much a part of my life they had become. I wonder how long I will be looking at the two that are left and seeing that invisible third one. Chickens are hilarious, adorable, and odd. I have one who pecks at my feet and knees every time she sees me, and the other one is adorably fat and docile. They both seem to like being held. I think what I might say to someone who is just starting is that it's really enjoyable to have chickens, but it's also imperfect--birds do die, and get taken by predators ( I feel like if a coyote is hungry enough, they could get into/over/under pretty much any run). They are part of our ecosystem, and have cubs (kits?) to feed. I think I'm a good, devoted chicken mom, but I think I'm getting that loss is also part of this. Still, worth it.

Hi, I'm Belila, and I have had chickens since Mother's Day of 2022. I didn't plan on being a chicken mom, but after a bit of a shock, I accepted the surprise gift from my kids. I went in pretty unprepared! My kids are older, two away at college now and one finishing high school (the human kids, not the chickens). I think they were worried I'd be bored without them to take care of, so they replaced themselves with chickens! I wouldn't have been bored, and I was looking forward to the quiet house and less work, but it's been a wonderful experience, all in all, even though I didn't initially "choose" it. I started with three chicks, a heat lamp, and a swimming pool in a shed. Moved them out to the coop they sleep in every night, and got a run and a routine established. I loved it!! They stay mainly in the coop/run, but pretty much everyday barring the worst weather, I take them for a walk (about an hour) around the perimeter of our acre. I do a little gardening as we walk, and that's my exercise for the day too.

Sadly, a coyote somehow got under the fence of their run and took one of them last week, which is how I found this forum. The guilt and sadness are hard, and I realized how much a part of my life they had become. I wonder how long I will be looking at the two that are left and seeing that invisible third one. Chickens are hilarious, adorable, and odd. I have one who pecks at my feet and knees every time she sees me, and the other one is adorably fat and docile. They both seem to like being held. I think what I might say to someone who is just starting is that it's really enjoyable to have chickens, but it's also imperfect--birds do die, and get taken by predators ( I feel like if a coyote is hungry enough, they could get into/over/under pretty much any run). They are part of our ecosystem, and have cubs (kits?) to feed. I think I'm a good, devoted chicken mom, but I think I'm getting that loss is also part of this. Still, worth it.
Welcome to BYC!! I’m sorry about your bird..

Awe, so well said!!! And I'm so sorry for your loss. You're right though, birds do die. I look at it that while here, they lived their best life thanks to my care. Welcome to BYC!! I found this place in 2009 with my very first flock, oof to think of all the mistakes I made but fast forward to today, I'm still doing it and yes it helps with my empty nest where kids left me for College and now starting their own family's and careers. I hope you enjoy your 2 and I secretly hope you add more chicks when you're ready. It's fun. :love

Hello Belila, and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
I'm sorry for your loss. Install a 2 ft wide predator apron all the way around your coop and run setup and that will keep digging predators out.
Thank you for the reply--my partner and I are planning on working on it this weekend, and the specific advice here is very helpful. 2 ft wide predator apron. Got it!

Welcome to the forum! So sorry for your loss. I'm going to be honest with you, losing chickens never gets easier. But that isn't always a bad thing. It means that in the time they were alive you loved the so so much, that now that they're missing, it hurts. You can get through this though, you have your flock there to help you :hugs :welcome

Back
Top Bottom