Chicken major foot injury 🐔

Pics
Does it have a roof? That one in the pic isn't gonna stop small predators like Weasels, minks, and others like them. Nor will it stop digging predators like foxes unless it has a skirt around it, or fencing buried pretty far down below it.
OP is in the Philippines. Different predators there. Different culture, too.

Hi everyone, so a quick update. This is her 7th time taking vetracin and her condition is kind of okay now. Her wound got better and there are feathers growing around it now. I havent given her vitamins yet bc the shop doesn't have any. And I can't tell if her black area has gotten smaller bc her feathers are covering it...i fed her minced carrots and cooked eggs today, I still had to use a dropper to make her drink. I don't know why she's sitting in a weird position but my guess it's because of the black area beneath her. Here are some photos of her. (she can actually stand now, but only for a moment then sits again 😞😞)

Attachments

• IMG_20220809_215623.jpg
    IMG_20220809_215623.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220809_215612.jpg
    IMG_20220809_215612.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220809_215345.jpg
    IMG_20220809_215345.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220809_215434.jpg
    IMG_20220809_215434.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 5
Sounds like she's slowing recovering. I'd just see how it goes.
Do give her extra protein like the egg. You can also give a bit of fish or meat too along with what you normally feed her.

Hopefully given time, she will come around.

Different culture so cruelty is OK?
No, but have to have realistic expectations given their available resources. Those yards are pretty secure, tbh. And different predators. And we're talking to a young person who doesn't make the household decisions. This person is doing their best given the circumstances, and this thread is educating them. But you're not going to influence a 180 attitude change toward livestock in a few posts.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, so a quick update. This is her 7th time taking vetracin and her condition is kind of okay now. Her wound got better and there are feathers growing around it now. I havent given her vitamins yet bc the shop doesn't have any. And I can't tell if her black area has gotten smaller bc her feathers are covering it...i fed her minced carrots and cooked eggs today, I still had to use a dropper to make her drink. I don't know why she's sitting in a weird position but my guess it's because of the black area beneath her. Here are some photos of her. (she can actually stand now, but only for a moment then sits again 😞😞)
hii everyone!!
Good evening everyone, so sorry for updating late at night but tonight's update is more of a good update. Today, she stands a lot now and is more active but she still can't walk around... Also she layed her very first egg after a month or two which is a good sign!! I've given her some greens and carrots which she all ate. I don't know why her egg was cracked when I found it maybe the other chicken tried to eat it (also her egg is really small, probably the smallest egg she's ever layed). She's not so pale now which is great, she's doing a lot better but I'm still keeping an eye on her especially to her dark area which is still not disappearing :(( but thanks for ur help everyone, you guys helped me a lot.

Different culture so cruelty is OK?
Here in the Philippines, chicken owners commonly keep their chickens tied or caged. Especially most houses here don't have yards and grass. Chickens being tied or caged is not considered as animal cruelty, it's just that we don't have the same way of raising them. Most owners don't have coops here too, we are trying our best to raise them well, and if they got sick or injured we treat them. I make sure my chickens are safe and far from predetors, so theres no animal cruelty being done here.

Back
Top Bottom