Chicken major foot injury 🐔

Pics

miiiraval

In the Brooder
Aug 3, 2022
Hi, im mira and im new here. My four year old chicken is sick. Last week, i noticed that my chicken is unwell. She hasnt been laying eggs for weeks and barely drinks water. Two months ago, she had a (upper) leg injury due to her rope. When i noticed it i immediately untied her and cleaned her wound. She seemed okay after that but these past few days, she started breathing really fast and she looks really unwell.

She can not stand anymore and when she lays down, she presses on her other side. she's now pale and not as active as before. Her leg injury must have really affected her health.

Now, i only clean her wounds with warm water and dry it after. im not sure if i should use hydrogen peroxide to disinfect her wound. I feed her many times a day and i use a droplet to make her drink water. I feed her her everyday feed and the internet says greek yogurt is good for sick chickens so i fed her that. I dont know what to do and my parents arent helping me. I cant lose her :((( pls help.

what can i feed her to make her feel better? any vitamins / food that will help her gain her strength again.

Attachments

• IMG_20220803_233302.jpg
    IMG_20220803_233302.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20220803_195301.jpg
    IMG_20220803_195301.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 11
Does it have a roof? That one in the pic isn't gonna stop small predators like Weasels, minks, and others like them. Nor will it stop digging predators like foxes unless it has a skirt around it, or fencing buried pretty far down below it.
OP is in the Philippines. Different predators there. Different culture, too.

Before, we just let her in the backyard and tied, and no we don't have a coop. But now that she's sick we just let her sleep inside the house especially that we're in rainy and cold season right now
That could be why she kept trying to escape the yard then. She may not feel safe there at night. I suggest building a home coop for them.

Hii so update. i asked my mom to buy antibiotics that will last for a week. The shop gave her 5 Vectracin Gold capsules. To be honest im not quite sure about this antibiotic because when i searched it, it says its for respiratory diseases....but still i gave it to her since shes been breathing heavily for the past few days and it did help her. Shes not breathing fast anymore, in fact shes breathing like she normaly does now.

But still, i don't know if i should continue giving her Vectracin Gold or if i should stop giving it to her.
Where are you located in the world?

I'd continue with the Vetracin Gold if that's what you have.

What do you have for wound care? Do you have any ointment or antiseptic cleanser?

Does her leg wound smell?

With her being 4 years old, she may have more going on than just the leg wound.

hi im sorry i havent been active here. i was busy searching for pet clinics that treats chickens but unfortunately there aren't any clinics for chickens in my place. i'll post pictures tomorrow because its already midnight here. to answer your question, yes she cant walk or stand still at all. her wound is really serious and yes, shes been laying in the same position, she does move sometimes, like when she has to angle her body when im feeding her but other than that, shes just sitting still . im still giving her wet foods, yogurt, cooked eggs, vetracin gold every 12 hrs and clean her wound with hydrogen peroxide. but unfortunately, her condition haven't improved at all. she's still eating alot actually, which is good. she won't drink any water so i had to use a dropper for her to drink.
Try giving her mash for hydration. As well as the water, you can mix it with things like hydro hen, or rooster booster or other vitamins to help give her a boost.

Back
Top Bottom