Chicken making weird noises

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lrkel, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Lrkel

Lrkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    My one rooster makes weird noises when he gets worked up. Sounds like wheezing or coughing. I treated with denagard thinking it was a respiratory infection. It didn't help. He doesn't have a runny nose or eyes. Seems healthy and none of the others have this. Is it normal or something going on?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I clicked the video. It states that "this video is currently unavailable."

3. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

x2

4. Lrkel

Lrkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    I made it public but it's still not showing. Here's the link maybe it will work.

5. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

It worked, thank you. I haven't had chickens enough to know anything about them beyond 2 weeks of age, unfortunately. BUT...since that link works perfectly fine, I hope someone else will be along shortly. I'm interested to know the answer, because if I heard that in my chickens I wouldn't think anything of it (would think it sounds normal since I don't know any different).

Beautiful roo by the way.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It appears that the cause might be environmental rather than anything bacterial, viral, or fungal. I say this because he is simply acting bright eyed and bushy tailed...I saw no symptoms whatsoever of any onset of a disease. If he were sick he wouldnt be as active as he is.
    I heard the chirps in between his chattering (normal.) The chirps could be caused by possibly something stuck in his throat or crop, or maybe a type of sneeze from inhaling feed dust or debris. I recommend that you dont do anything for a few days and see if it passes on its own. If you see or hear that it's getting worse or a decline in his health in some manner, we can address it then. Until then, just observe and monitor your roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by