Chicken Manure and the KeyHole Garden Idea

TaysChicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 7, 2012
So I've read into this keyhole design for gardens. I'm taking it into consideration for my tomatoes. My idea that in the middle of the area of tomatoes, I would bury, mostly, a plastic bin, with drilled holes for worm access, then throw in chicken manure, compostable scraps and such, etc. Keep layering. The idea is that when watered, the nutrients will drain out into the garden. Also could be pulled up and used later as compost. I know that manure can burn plants, but, I was told that 2 chickens wouldn't hurt too much...
The bin would be centered where it would be about 2-3ft or so from the plants. And the ground level would be higher where the bin is then lower towards the plants...
Just wondering anyones thoughts on this. If they thought it would burn the plants? Bad idea? Any input is welcome. Thanks.

I like the idea. I'd give it a try for a season and give us the results.
I'd also raise a bed of the same varieties/same batch of seed some distance away as a control because different results come from different climate year to year.
I use raised beds for most veggies. I have 4, 1 for the last/current season's veggies, 1 for the next season's veggies, 1 for chickens and 1 planted in cover crops for the next chicken pasture. I rotate them and when the chickens move to the next pasture bed I fill the one they were moved from with finished compost and that's the following season's veggie bed.
I also fertilize with fish emulsion.

Can you tell me what Fish Emulsion is? Just curious. Thanks for the reply. I will definitely keep everyone posted.
I like your idea of switching like that!

Back
Top Bottom