Chicken manure

brown egg 25

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2016
My does an amazing vegetable garden every year and this is the first year we have chickens. I heard that chicken manure is like magic if you use it right. I also heard if you dont you can kill your plants. Looking for tips tricks and truths. I want to help my wife.

If you look down a bit in the gardening forum there are a few threads about composting with chicken manure. You might want to cruise through those and certainly come back with any questions.

Chicken manure is considered “hot”. If put directly on many garden plants it can damage or even kill them. I’ve killed a couple of tomato plants in the past with it. But once it has broken down it’s black gold to a gardener.

The best way to me is for you to build a compost pile. There are all kinds of ways to do that, some pretty easy and some complicated and requiring work. For good composting you need a combination of greens (nitrogen) and browns (carbon). Chicken manure is considered green. Your chicken bedding is probably a brown. It depends on what it is and how much manure is mixed with it how brown or green the mixture is.

There are so many different things I could type but most of it is covered in those other threads. If you have any questions at all just ask.

Back
Top Bottom