Chicken Math has Struck!! Or: New Coop NOW!!! Or: I'm Moving My Chickens to the Barn!!!

Love Ranger:love

He kinda makes it hard not to, lol. All that personality and intelligence, in a PUPPY. It's craziness around here most of the time!

This is quite the menagerie! Love the pictures of Ranger and Coffee

It is!! I just added an Ayam Cemani roo to the mix today, too lol!

Cool Dog...is he old...heeler mix??

Thanks!

He's a bit over a year and a half. Still 3/4 puppy. Heelers don't really start to mature, or finish growing...till 2yrs or so. He's also papered...Buzzard's ACD's (he's actually the third pup from the right in this cover photo lol: https://www.buzzardsaustraliancattledogs.com/pups ). I've owned heelers all of my life...grew up on a 192,000 acre cattle ranch with them...and while mixes can be amazing dogs...heelers are bred to bite...HARD, and the best are bred to bite when appropriate (meaning...defense, or herding cattle). Ranger herds the cats, geese, chicken, and children equally well...using his nose, no teeth. He's even stopped a loose rabbit when my son left the hutch open and she fell out. Plus, the breed is prone to blindness, and massive hip issues. Dogs of unknown origin are almost always carriers of those genes. Theresa Buzzard breeds her dogs as working dogs first, show dogs second, and their health and sturdiness come before both. She won't use dogs that don't test clear of those genetic defects.

I just reread and it reads like a rant lol...but it's all true, and I promise it isn't!!

On the chicken front.....

Meet Johnny!

Not sure if it'll be Johnny 'Cash' or Johnny 'Rotten' lol....it'll depend on him.

Last edited:
Wow those two are characters! And I would absolutely die if I found any of my dogs sitting on a table!
My Pip is a ACD mix. She’s been known to jump up on a table or two. She has a way of talking her way out of trouble especially with my son in law.
AECDA80C-1D66-4BA5-83AD-7ADCBE981FED.jpeg
1EDB9F3E-5982-42B8-A45F-6DE9D5A77E06.jpeg

My Pip is a ACD mix. She’s been known to jump up on a table or two. She has a way of talking her way out of trouble especially with my son in law.
View attachment 2123071View attachment 2123072

They are such loving dogs. Definitely pick their people for sure. And yes!...they squirm their way out of anything with that 'sweet' demeanor lol.

I think it's not fair lol.

He's a bit over a year and a half. Still 3/4 puppy. Heelers don't really start to mature, or finish growing...till 2yrs or so.
Ah, I thought he kinda moved like an 'old' dog.
True for most dogs....'puppies' until about 2-3yo.
Only been around a couple heelers, very territorial and one person dogs.
Guess much can depend on the keeper/trainer more than anything.

Ah, I thought he kinda moved like an 'old' dog.
True for most dogs....'puppies' until about 2-3yo.
Only been around a couple heelers, very territorial and one person dogs.
Guess much can depend on the keeper/trainer more than anything.

Conditioning and socialization are really important for herding breeds. Particularly ones bred to guard as well as drive. Ranger's the product of two full human generations (countless animal generations) of specific breeding for temperament, intelligence, physical condition, etc etc...but with a bad, or even apathetic/uninvolved owner he'd be an utter nightmare. If you don't keep them occupied and constantly interacting for the first two years, they will occupy themselves...and it's NEVER good. They are all born alphas as well, so socialization with kids, people, and animals are all critical too. A dog without bite inhibition and social skills is a liability to the owner as well as to himself.

I will say though...he's VERY concerned about Johnny! He did NOT like the fact that he wasn't introduced I think...and while I could tell he was being playful...when Johnny would back off one of the girls...it bothered him lol.

Back
Top Bottom