Chicken math - how do you allow for additions? How MANY do you allow?

That's good to know for in the future, I actually arranged today for all three of my silkie hens to go to a new home as a starter flock for someone else through my local Facebook chicken swap, to give myself a little space to order new breeds when I feel so compelled (which I'm sure I will).

In fact they sold so quickly I have a waiting list of people wanting to buy them if the first guy falls through, so I feel like I seriously underpriced them. I just sold them three for $20 as a set since I'm not interested in making money off them, just making some space in my coop.
Wow, I wish I could sell birds for that much.

Wow, I wish I could sell birds for that much.

I guess because they are actively laying and all sexed pullets? They're good-looking birds though, I gotta say.

20190421_153246.jpg
20190421_153204.jpg
20190421_153328.jpg

I only add if I'm also subtracting. My management plan includes rotating the flock, I replace at least 1/2 of the flock each year and no birds stay beyond the second laying cycle (this may be tested next year, lol, have two holdovers this year that may earn another year). I start more birds than needed to allow for missexed chicks, etc...puck my keepers and sell the rest as coop ready birds (they go at 6-10 weeks depending on how long it takes me to choose keepers). The adults being cycled out go once the new pullets start laying (late summer).

I only add if I'm also subtracting. My management plan includes rotating the flock, I replace at least 1/2 of the flock each year and no birds stay beyond the second laying cycle (this may be tested next year, lol, have two holdovers this year that may earn another year). I start more birds than needed to allow for missexed chicks, etc...puck my keepers and sell the rest as coop ready birds (they go at 6-10 weeks depending on how long it takes me to choose keepers). The adults being cycled out go once the new pullets start laying (late summer).

I think this is going to be my strategy, at least until I have the chance to raise most of the breeds I want to determine my ultimate favorites.

I listed 10-month-old laying pullets for sale once and got told that "$5 was too much."

No kidding! Last time I bought layers - about 3 years ago - the going rate was $15 a bird for any breed. I got EEs and a couple of Copper Marans, most of which I still have and are still laying at least sporadically. Out of 8 hens we get 5 - 8 eggs a day. That's not bad, right? Yeah, I'm one of those chicken people who keeps hens until they die of old age.... I'm originally a city gal and was horrified when I moved to an area where ticks and chiggers are a fact of life! So I got the birds as emergency insect control, and the eggs are just a happy by-product ... but I do really enjoy my birds. They keep me sane and make me happy.

Yeah, I'm one of those chicken people who keeps hens until they die of old age....

I think I'll eventually be one of those people, I just have to try out some different breeds first and see what I like. My dad (whom I'm sharing the chickenkeeping project with) is very interested in having a mixed flock of all different rare or ornamental breeds, and so am I, so I'm building up a flock with one each of all my favorites. I loved raising the silkies to learn the hobby as a beginner, but I really love chickens with strong patterns like silver/golden lace, partridge, spangled, speckled, etc... a lot of the chickens I currently have in my roster are permanent chickens in my flock because they're breeds I specifically wanted.

I started with a small flock, small coop... at least I had the foresight to build a very large run in comparison (though was using half of it for gardening).

After 2 years we had a larger coop built (going from 16 to 60 sq ft) and now my garden is on the other side of the yard, freeing up the entire run space. My plan is to have up to 12 birds but to get there slowly, as I don't plan on culling retired layers, so we're only planning to add chicks when egg production tapers.

I waited 30 years to get chickens so I'm in no hurry to max out the flock, especially when we can only eat so many eggs...

I started with a small flock, small coop... at least I had the foresight to build a very large run in comparison (though was using half of it for gardening).

After 2 years we had a larger coop built (going from 16 to 60 sq ft) and now my garden is on the other side of the yard, freeing up the entire run space. My plan is to have up to 12 birds but to get there slowly, as I don't plan on culling retired layers, so we're only planning to add chicks when egg production tapers.

I waited 30 years to get chickens so I'm in no hurry to max out the flock, especially when we can only eat so many eggs...

My neighbors who don't have chickens will get tired of eggs, too! So will my daughter and son-inlaw.

I do have plans to hatch some chivks for local sale as pullets. I'm not in love with ecerevery single one of my birds!

Back
Top Bottom