Chicken math prevailed!

I just can't stop myself! I so want ducklings! And hah, before we got the girls, Chicken Man said WE were getting chickens. Which translates to, "I'll buy you chickens but you're doing everything else." At least our 7 year old helps with the dogs and cats. :confused:
Ducklings are super gross. The 3 of them get their brooder absolutely filthy every day.but they are cute and duck eggs are excellent for baking.

We started with 6 then I *had* to take the kids to the feed store with me and that brought home another 6, 2 of which are accidental meat birds (TSC and their mislabeled bins and employees that have never had anything to do with chickens) so technically just 4 since our 2 Cornishes will be culled in a couple of weeks now. Then I go back with the whole family because we need feed and I wanted my husband to show me what he was talking about us using for the run and, of course, we can't leave without a peeping box. Our count was at 18 total with 2 to be culled early (I'm so sad because they're so sweet!) and that was satisfying. Our coop is plenty big to handle this many and more. More. A friend calls to tell me new chicks are in and they're marking down chicks and I can't help myself, I want at least 3. So we agree to split the order. She gets them and then radio silence. For a full 24 hours. Husband sees my disappointment and can't stand it so off to TSC we go and you can't buy less than 6 so.... chicken math. 24 chicks, 3 separate brooders, plenty of love to go around. After researching so much, I'm fairly certain that out of our first 6 Australorps, only 2 are actually Australorps. Unless 4-5 week old Black Australorp juvenile feathers are barred....? So I think we're actually looking at either Cuckoo Marans or Barred Rocks as both were for sale at the same time and many were in the same bins together. I really wish that TSC would hire people during chick days who have some kind of experience with chickens. Husband is officially, lovingly, referred to as the Chicken Man around these parts. We have one specific "Australorp" that adores him. Picture for cuteness. View attachment 1882468
For now, our flock stays at 24....... until I have to go back to get feed and they end up getting something in that I just can't say no to. :th Does everyone have this problem? I can't help myself.
I'd love to have more but force myself to resist. I say to myself how many can I have and still keep them happy and healthy. That stops me from buying more. Also, I'm vegetarian so culling is out of the question.

Buffaloes are pretty common livestock where I live, so I didn't bothered posting pictures.
First pic is of the buffaloes in the fields, they only return to get milked. Second pic is of a first time mom. Newly delivered moms are kept home for extra care.

Ahhhhh!!!! We have lots of cows, bison, horses... no buffalo!!! Awh! They're so pretty!!

I enjoy the chicken math discussion as I am definitely a chicken hoarder having has as many as 142 in the past. My current number stands at 32 hens and it is all I can do to not get more. Heck, at 5 years old my Grandpa gave me a Bantam hen with 12 chicks and a year later I had more than 80 so I am a lifetime practitioner. Regarding the Cackle Hatchery mention in this thread, all my current flock came from them (2017 - Mixed Large and 2018 - Mixed Bantams) and they have been very healthy, productive birds.

Ducklings are super gross. The 3 of them get their brooder absolutely filthy every day.but they are cute and duck eggs are excellent for baking.

:lol: Everybody says they're filthy and I believe it. Doesn't deter me from wanting them. :yesss: I'm still strongly considering going to rescue the babies at TSC. Give them some extra TLC. Between the condition of the drinker and the overheating, I just feel like they need to be at home with me. :wee

Ahhhhh!!!! We have lots of cows, bison, horses... no buffalo!!! Awh! They're so pretty!!

There are buffaloes in US and Canada, you just need to find them. I know that buffalo dairies are operational in South Carolina, California, New Jersey, Vermont, Ontario and British Columbia. There are also many hobby farmers that keep them.

Many people who are interested in making artisan milk products like mozzarella di bufala cheese, gelato, yoghurt, ghee and paneer also keep them.

I enjoy the chicken math discussion as I am definitely a chicken hoarder having has as many as 142 in the past. My current number stands at 32 hens and it is all I can do to not get more. Heck, at 5 years old my Grandpa gave me a Bantam hen with 12 chicks and a year later I had more than 80 so I am a lifetime practitioner. Regarding the Cackle Hatchery mention in this thread, all my current flock came from them (2017 - Mixed Large and 2018 - Mixed Bantams) and they have been very healthy, productive birds.

Oh wow!!! Love this!! 142! It's great to have gotten started so early! My daughter is almost 2 and was previously terrified of dogs but loved our cats. The chickens have been a new animal experience for her and she's extremely curious! I expected her to be afraid but she's surprised me and loved every second. She smiles every time she sees them and is trying her best to say chicken. Glad to hear another positive experience with Cackle!

There are buffaloes in US and Canada, you just need to find them. I know that buffalo dairies are operational in South Carolina, California, New Jersey, Vermont, Ontario and British Columbia. There are also many hobby farmers that keep them.

Many people who are interested in making artisan milk products like mozzarella di bufala cheese, gelato, yoghurt, ghee and paneer also keep them.

Ghee is made from buffalo milk?!

Omgsh. I've been reading about hatching here and I want to so badly. Not yet. But one of these days. I've been researching bators. I just... This is a sickness. And I don't want a cure. :gig Wow! 54! I love it! And the way you acquired them all!
This is the one I use the most, I get large to extra large eggs from my girls, all it will hold is 6 at a time, which is fine, it's got the auto turner, I think they call it forced air, with it I average a 60 to a 100% hatch rate. From the Roo and Hens that I picked up from a friend, I also got eggs from her, they all hatched (6 of them) and have just set another 6. I haven't caught the Roo doing the wild thing, so I want to see if he has been..lol. I lost a couple of the original 6 I'd hatched from her, but I've got 4 little loud mouths that I am listening too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-12Egg-In...301&pg=2367844&_trksid=p2367844.c100625.m3682

Back
Top Bottom