Chicken math prevailed!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MissMarple, Aug 18, 2019.

1. mamablair

mamablair Songster

Jul 27, 2019
    Colorado
    Ducklings are super gross. The 3 of them get their brooder absolutely filthy every day.but they are cute and duck eggs are excellent for baking.

2. TinaMarieofFL

TinaMarieofFL Songster

Apr 29, 2018
    Hilliard, FL
    I'd love to have more but force myself to resist. I say to myself how many can I have and still keep them happy and healthy. That stops me from buying more. Also, I'm vegetarian so culling is out of the question.

3. MissMarple

MissMarple Songster

Aug 3, 2019
    Arkansas

Ahhhhh!!!! We have lots of cows, bison, horses... no buffalo!!! Awh! They're so pretty!!

4. Chicken Heel

Chicken Heel Chirping

Jun 8, 2019
    I enjoy the chicken math discussion as I am definitely a chicken hoarder having has as many as 142 in the past. My current number stands at 32 hens and it is all I can do to not get more. Heck, at 5 years old my Grandpa gave me a Bantam hen with 12 chicks and a year later I had more than 80 so I am a lifetime practitioner. Regarding the Cackle Hatchery mention in this thread, all my current flock came from them (2017 - Mixed Large and 2018 - Mixed Bantams) and they have been very healthy, productive birds.

5. MissMarple

MissMarple Songster

Aug 3, 2019
    Arkansas
    :lol: Everybody says they're filthy and I believe it. Doesn't deter me from wanting them. :yesss: I'm still strongly considering going to rescue the babies at TSC. Give them some extra TLC. Between the condition of the drinker and the overheating, I just feel like they need to be at home with me. :wee

6. Kabootar

Kabootar Songster

Aug 15, 2017
    Bihar India
    There are buffaloes in US and Canada, you just need to find them. I know that buffalo dairies are operational in South Carolina, California, New Jersey, Vermont, Ontario and British Columbia. There are also many hobby farmers that keep them.

Many people who are interested in making artisan milk products like mozzarella di bufala cheese, gelato, yoghurt, ghee and paneer also keep them.

7. MissMarple

MissMarple Songster

Aug 3, 2019
    Arkansas
    Oh wow!!! Love this!! 142! It's great to have gotten started so early! My daughter is almost 2 and was previously terrified of dogs but loved our cats. The chickens have been a new animal experience for her and she's extremely curious! I expected her to be afraid but she's surprised me and loved every second. She smiles every time she sees them and is trying her best to say chicken. Glad to hear another positive experience with Cackle!

doublecrossranch likes this.
  8. MissMarple

MissMarple Songster

Aug 3, 2019
    Arkansas

Ghee is made from buffalo milk?!

doublecrossranch likes this.
  9. Kabootar

Kabootar Songster

Aug 15, 2017
    Bihar India
    Ghee can be made from cow's milk too, but buffalo milk is more suitable because of it's high fat content. Buffalo milk contains 7.2-12.5% butter fat which is much more than cow's milk.

10. starri33

starri33 Crowing

Feb 28, 2016
    Golden Valley AZ
    This is the one I use the most, I get large to extra large eggs from my girls, all it will hold is 6 at a time, which is fine, it's got the auto turner, I think they call it forced air, with it I average a 60 to a 100% hatch rate. From the Roo and Hens that I picked up from a friend, I also got eggs from her, they all hatched (6 of them) and have just set another 6. I haven't caught the Roo doing the wild thing, so I want to see if he has been..lol. I lost a couple of the original 6 I'd hatched from her, but I've got 4 little loud mouths that I am listening too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9-12Egg-In...301&pg=2367844&_trksid=p2367844.c100625.m3682

doublecrossranch and MissMarple like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: