Chicken math prevailed!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MissMarple, Aug 18, 2019.

1. MissMarple

MissMarple Songster

Aug 3, 2019
    Arkansas
    Learn something new every day! Wonder if the ghee we use/eat is made from cow or buffalo milk.... hmm...

2. MissMarple

MissMarple Songster

Aug 3, 2019
    Arkansas
    Bookmarking for later potential purchasing! Thanks for the info!! Going to go research now.....

doublecrossranch and starri33 like this.
  3. starri33

starri33 Crowing

Feb 28, 2016
    Golden Valley AZ
    Your welcome, this is the first incubator that I bought, I refused to spend a bunch of money..lol.. it's served me well, I also have a 24 count incubator sitting in the top of my chicken room closet. (actually a guest room) that I used but the hatch only turned out at 25%, so it's set aside till I figure out what I did wrong. Not to mention right now I don't need to go hatching 24 eggs..lol.. but I do hatch for friends here where I live that have lost their flocks to predator's, it works out well, I get my hatching fix and they get flocks that their not having to put out money for, my main flock are a bunch of mutts, I think people actually refer to them as a barnyard mix. I've currently got Naked Necks in a separate coop/run and then the chicks and the eggs I have are all NN's.

4. MissMarple

MissMarple Songster

Aug 3, 2019
    Arkansas
    How does a Naked Neck come about? They're so cute and I've wondered but haven't dug enough into them as I'm trying to understand the mish-mash of breeds we have right now. That's so cool that you hatch for others!

doublecrossranch and starri33 like this.
  5. starri33

starri33 Crowing

Feb 28, 2016
    Golden Valley AZ
    They were originally started in Europe, how I do not know, but a lot of the folks on here breed them, they select the ones with the smallest amount of feathers and breed from those, as it keeps going you end up with ones with no neck feathers. @igorsMistress could probably tell you more, as she raises them. She and another lady @BlueBaby were the ones that got me hooked..lol, BlueBaby is the lady that I got mine from. The area I live in is low income. Most can't afford to be paying 2+ dollars a chick.. So it works out well. The picture is the back of one of the chicks that I have now head.

Attached Files:

6. Chicken Heel

Chicken Heel Chirping

Jun 8, 2019
    I have 3 Turkens in my current flock of hens and I really like them. They are good layers and get along well with the other hens. I recommend them highly.

7. starri33

starri33 Crowing

Feb 28, 2016
    Golden Valley AZ
    How often do yours lay? I got spoiled with my sexlinks, everyday and large eggs, so far it seems to be medium to large eggs every other day with mine. Once this heat stops it might pick up.

8. goldysgirl

goldysgirl Songster

May 1, 2010
    Would love to see a picture! If I won the lottery I would build a huge chicken barn and have chickens everywhere! Right now I have 19 and 3 japanese bantum babies in eggs under my broody.

9. goldysgirl

goldysgirl Songster

May 1, 2010
    I love the buffs! Super sweet but I am taking a break from them since they have been so succeptible to predators. I think they greet the racoons when they stop by!

10. Chicken Heel

Chicken Heel Chirping

Jun 8, 2019
    My Turkens generally lay 4 - 5 eggs a week that are medium to large. One of the three goes broody on occasion and all have their own distinct personalities with one being extremely curious. I enjoy them as much as any chickens I have ever owned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: