Chicken math strikes again!

missnu01

Songster
7 Years
Nov 16, 2012
Well I started by ordering 19 ducks from ideal hatchery Couldn't wait for them to get here and got 3 from tractor supply as well...
So 24 ducks.
Then I picked up 6 bantam chicks from a TSC.
Then ordered 15 geese from cackle hatchery. They only sent 10...still waiting on that refund...out of the 10, 3 have died. So 7 geese left. I told my bf that I was thinking about getting more geese, he said no. Too many birds, etc...
Then I mentioned maybe some turkeys and he said they're pretty cool get a couple...
Brain kicks on. Ordered 12 turkeys from ideal hatchery. When I told him what I ordered this am he imploded about how i just do whatever i want and yada yada. So now I figure if I sell just under the number of turkeys coming in ducks that should calm things down again yes?

When I told him what I ordered this am he imploded about how i just do whatever i want and yada yada.
Did you order a plucker to?! :drool
I think the BF is RIGHT. :oops:

DO you even realize how much feed duck and turkeys eat or how much they poop? It's SOOO much nicer to enjoy raising one species at a time..

They have different nutritional needs... Turkey poults need at least 28% protein And they can get black head from being housed with chickens... NOW, find out if it's an issue in YOUR area.. and have a plan... It isn't an issue in MY area.. Chick starter will NOT be adequate for duck or turkeys. Ducks need more niacin... You may be able to use a game bird starter for them all.. Purina turkey starter, etc.

Honestly... your adventure sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen... when things get crowded, when it starts to go wrong.. it goes wrong FAST! :barnie

Your plan to sell some off should help. Get started looking for homes now, if you can..

Hope it's a fantastic adventure still! Different species are SOO different, very educational and entertaining. Best wishes! :wee

Well I started by ordering 19 ducks from ideal hatchery Couldn't wait for them to get here and got 3 from tractor supply as well...
So 24 ducks.
Then I picked up 6 bantam chicks from a TSC.
Then ordered 15 geese from cackle hatchery. They only sent 10...still waiting on that refund...out of the 10, 3 have died. So 7 geese left. I told my bf that I was thinking about getting more geese, he said no. Too many birds, etc...
Then I mentioned maybe some turkeys and he said they're pretty cool get a couple...
Brain kicks on. Ordered 12 turkeys from ideal hatchery. When I told him what I ordered this am he imploded about how i just do whatever i want and yada yada. So now I figure if I sell just under the number of turkeys coming in ducks that should calm things down again yes?
Boy, I thought my chicken math was bad! 🤔 2 dozen ducks? Holy heck! I have 16 ducklings 6 are 5-6 weeks, 10 are 5 days old. We also have 30 chicks. We are getting a pair of turkeys as well. We have 5 acres & live in a rural area so we have plenty of room for extra coops, runs, pools.
My hubby started this whole chicken flock when he brought me home 6 ducklings and 16 chicks for a birthday present. Then we go to the feed store for hay and come home with another crew to stick in the brooding house. At least we are on the same page, it's his fault we came home with 4 magpies & 2 fawn runners. I wanted 2 blue runners and 2 cayugas. :th
It is true they eat a LOT so be prepared for buying several large bags of different feed monthly. I have 5 bags of 40lb duck feed & 5 50lb bags of chick starter in the feed room. At least we won't run out of feed this month.

Good luck with them all!

Are you kidding me... That's NOT bad, it MIGHT be worse if (we) were on the same page... :oops: :p

Chicken math also includes... goats, mini pigs, live meal worm colonies, sheep, emu, lama, guinea pigs, rabbits, oh my... the possibilities are endless! :smack

:lol:

Oh well if we are counting all the other critters I also have 5 horses, 2 dogs, and 5 cats. Not to mention the hundreds of wild birds I feed. :lau We go through 50lbs a week of wild bird seed in summer and 100lbs in winter.
I had at one point 14 horses but many of them were geriatric retired school horses who have since passed on to greener pastures. I want a foal but my husband is not on that page with me. :he Doesn't matter I will get one anyway.
We haven't done goats yet because they tend to be destructive. Can't have goats breaking out and climbing on client's cars. Pretty sure that wouldn't go over well! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom