Chicken math

Chicken math knocked me over the head today. We started with 10 last year. Recently got rid of our rooster, so now down to 9. Ordered 6 chicks from the hatchery and picked them up last week. Today, however, I had a really, really bad day at work. Some people stress eat. Some people go shopping. I apparently buy chickens. Stopped in at the local farm store to "just look" (yeah, right, even I know better). They had a few types that we don't have yet so the DH approved a couple new additions. It is not my fault they had a 6-chick minimum. And it is equally not my fault if I only bought 6, it would have left one poor chick all alone in the tub. We had to bring her too, right?! So now I have more than double what I originally planned for and I'm thinking I need to take up yoga or something to handle stress...

We started, thinking to get 4. Suddenly, it became 5. Now, our family wants a silky too, so we're going to a local Agway's to see if anything catches the eye. Darn you, Animal loving genetics!

fiancé went to go pick up 2 runner ducklings tonight one male one female.. we already have 2 female fawn and white runner ducklings and 2 mallard female ducklings... well this is the picture I get as I'm at work

chicken math also effects duck math lol

I'm new to chickens, but learned about chicken math really fast!! Lol I only wanted 3, but ended up with 7!!!
1f602.png
1f425.png

I am having help with math......at least I think it is help.....

I got a random call from a fantastic feed store near me.... The standard cochins I ordered are in! UM .......I didn't order any.....BUT they ARE the black and blue ones I wanted.....

I have not decided what to do yet. In town and 39 already here....... I may be pushing the limits of sanity at this point.

We started, thinking to get 4. Suddenly, it became 5. Now, our family wants a silky too, so we're going to a local Agway's to see if anything catches the eye. Darn you, Animal loving genetics!

Since the silky was older than the chicks we're getting, we got a RIR to keep her company.

They really like each other, and sleep in a ying-yang position!

My chicken math this weekend:

Chicks started hatching Thursday. By Friday evening I had 5 EE mixes to give to my Japanese hen to raise. I went to a poultry swap Saturday, taking 44 young birds 5-9 weeks old. Sold about 34 of them. Bought three chicks. Yesterday and today 11 more chicks have hatched. There are still 4 left in the Hatcher and 7 or 8 in the incubator but they don't count yet since you can't count your chickens before they hatch. So net change is +5-34+3+11 = -15. That's progress.Lol.

here is a summary of my chicken math SO FAR this year lol....

already had 10 hens 1 Roo and 4 guineas.... = 15 birds...

Now we have 11 chicks hatched in the incubator (my barnyard cochin bantams) have 9 bought (4 porcelain d'uccle 3 buff orpington bantams 2 silkies)

My silkie just hatched out 5 cochin barnyard bantams

We have a total of 8 ducklings (2 mallard hens, 6 fawn and white runner duck hens and 2 runner duck drakes)

Making a grand total of 33 young birds 48 birds all together

ANNNDD we're getting 8 red bourbon turkeys in a week or so... yeesh

POULTRY MATH
wee.gif

I am having help with math......at least I think it is help.....

I got a random call from a fantastic feed store near me.... The standard cochins I ordered are in! UM .......I didn't order any.....BUT they ARE the black and blue ones I wanted.....

I have not decided what to do yet. In town and 39 already here....... I may be pushing the limits of sanity at this point.

UPDATE!!
I picked up the 5 surprise cochin chicks.......and delivered them to a good friend who wanted them. I made it out with only the 5!!

Numbers stand at 39 until I deliver 3 to another friend tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom