Chicken math

Quote:
Mine just shakes his head and says "Yes Dear".
hu.gif

OH MY that is a lot of coops. I only have the one but I am in town and there are 42 chickens at my house. (23 are babies)
I petitioned the city council when we were at 9 coops to limit people to 10, they said no, then when I had 10, I petitioned for a limit of 11...Even they won't stop us!!!!!
cool.png

Lol reading everyones stories made me laugh. I am not affectionately known as the chicken lady around my house and with neighbors. For years i have wanted chickens for the fresh eggs. last year we moved into my parents house to keep my elderly dad out of a nursing home. And he said he wanted hens also. We thought we got this. Went for 6 chicks at local pet store. Then tsc had chick days... got 6 more..... well then dad said we need 18.. good rounded flock... so not i have 6 1wk old isa browns, 6 2 wk old buff orpingtons, 2 3 wk old leghorn, 2 3wk old amberlinks and 2 3wk old black sexlinks.. so much for only six chicks... on the other parts i love sitting by thier cage (we have 4dogs and 1cat) and holding them petting them. They almost all let me handfeed them. I actually walk away from them so relaxed.. i also can almost tell everyone apart by behavior.

I let mamma do some hatching. First batch only 1 out of 5 eggs hatched. Then 2 days later the chick died. So this time, thinking I would do 11 eggs under big mamma and hope to get at least 5. 22 days later nothing. Eggs are all silent. So went to feed store got 6 fuzzies. Went that night to sneak babies under and surprise! There is a baby. 25 days after starting I have 10 hatched eggs and 6 store bought.
Hubby bought me a second chicken coop. LOL

Okay.... I'm up to 17 in the coop.

Nine in the grow-out coop that I built this week, almost all by myself.

A broody with 10 new chicks from the incubator.

Three 3 week olds in the garage brooder. And the two original eggs that the broody was sitting on are in the incubator. I didn't think they would make it since she went to the wrong nest twice before I moved her. But they are developed and moving. Probably about 5-6 days to go. Never thought when I started I last spring that I would have 40 chickens this spring.

My classroom hatch went great! I asked for one dozen eggs half leghorn and half bantam mystery birds. They gave me 12 leghorn and 8 bantam. A total of 15 hatched! A few were unfertilized or died early on and one died at about 19 days. :(

I managed to find homes for 6 of the chicks. Three of which did not last the weekend due to poor handling. I am kicking myself for not doing a stronger background check on the adoptive parents.

That leaves 9 chicks in my second bedroom. I was only planning on keeping 3-4 birds. I already have 5 adult hens pecking around the backyard. Looks like I have a full house now.

How long do you keep the cockerels before culling them? I cant have roosters in my neighborhood.

Back
Top Bottom