Chicken may have eaten avocado skins? Help!

Thechickenaddict

Chirping
Apr 18, 2021
A while ago, I learned that avocado skins are bad for chickens and are toxic. Today, I say a hen eat something which did look like a piece of skin from a avocado. There is a avocado tree in my neighbor’s yard and it’s likely that a piece fell on our side thanks to a squirrel. I think she only got a few pieces but I still wonder if I should do anything.

Thechickenaddict

Sorry, I have no idea.
Have read of folks having charcoal on hand for toxicity issues,
but not sure of source or dosing.
I see, thanks for checking out my thread anyway, she seems to be fine now, but I don’t know what will happen later. If she starts showing any signs of poisoning, I’ll try to run to the store to get some stuff. Not sure on how much she ate, idk if one piece of skin can be toxic enough to do damage

My girl has eaten the flesh before and turned out fine but I am aware that the pit and skin are toxic. I would monitor her and if she starts acting oddly or looks sickly, I would go run to the store to get something, maybe activated charcoal like @aart said. I am no expert on the topic of poison but I’ve seen people state that they use activated charcoal for poisoning issues, like I said though, I’m no expert so don’t take my advice if something better comes up. I tagged @azygous as well so hopefully they can help you out.

Random Fluffy Chicken

My girl has eaten the flesh before and turned out fine but I am aware that the pit and skin are toxic. I would monitor her and if she starts acting oddly or looks sickly, I would go run to the store to get something, maybe activated charcoal like @aart said. I am no expert on the topic of poison but I’ve seen people state that they use activated charcoal for poisoning issues, like I said though, I’m no expert so don’t take my advice if something better comes up. I tagged @azygous as well so hopefully they can help you out.

Random Fluffy Chicken
I wonder if the skin is only toxic if the chicken consumes a certain amount, it’s been 2 hrs and she still looks fine, and acts fine.

I’m sure eating the whole piece of skin off a piece of avocado will make them sick but I think I only saw her eat one or two pieces. My eyes could be tricking me though and she could have just ate something completely safe. Her poop looks fine, she’s still interested in food, and still running, scratching, and pecking around. I’ll keep monitoring her though just to be safe.

Thechickenaddict

Back
Top Bottom