Chicken Medical Costs

Since Albina is very docile and doesnt peck other chickens, I suspect that Albina is the lowest ranked chicken in the pecking order and got pecked in the eye by a higher ranked chicken.
Flush Albina's eye with saline solution, then apply Terramycin eye ointment or Neosporin ointment in her eye, just a little dab will do. Continue to apply the ointment until healed.
If you have one feeder for your chickens, I recommend providing another feeder. That way Albina can eat in peace away from the "pickers."

This is why I continue to read threads on BYC forum, even for issues that don't immediately affect me. It's advice like this helps me if/when I have to deal with these issues.

The only thing I might add is that I would consider putting Albina in a chicken hospital, away from the other birds that are pecking her, until her injury is no longer an issue. Chickens can be very cruel, and if they see blood or weakness, they may peck at her even more. I use a small dog carrier for my chicken hospital. Its big enough to comfortably hold one adult chicken with food and water. Not only do I want to separate a sick or injured chicken from the flock, but it makes it much easier for me to treat the patient and monitor her progress back to health.

I want to take her to the vet but I don't know how much it costs. Any factors to it?

Like others have stated, our local vets charge about $100 to walk through the door.

Factors to consider?

When I first got laying hens, I talked to our local 4H poultry advisor (employed by the University of Minnesota extension office) and he advised me to learn how to treat and care for my chickens on my own. Our local vets don't know much about poultry, and they won't provide any better care that what a person can do at home.

As to other factors to consider, a day old chick costs about $3.00. So, for $100.00, I could replace my entire 10 bird flock 3X over for the cost of a vet visit. I treat my sick birds at home, and if I cannot save one, sometimes I have to cull it. I put more emphasis on the entire flock, and not just on any one bird. I would rather spend my money on care and maintenance of the flock. $100.00 would pay for almost a year's worth of feed for my chickens.

Another factor to consider is that chickens don't have a very long life. My laying hens are now 3+ years old, but I hardly get any eggs from them anymore. I have decided to replace my flock every 2 years from now on. As you can tell, I learn more towards chickens as livestock than chickens as pets. You have to decide on what you want to do with your flock.

If you raise chickens as pets, then your calculations may be different. I encourage people to learn how to treat their animals at home, but I don't want to put down anyone who chooses to take their pet to the vet hospital.

Back
Top Bottom