chicken mites

jmantoo1

Songster
12 Years
Apr 11, 2007
i think my baby 4 week old chicks have mites they are pulling on thier feathers lightly not pulling them out also dusting in the shavings in the brooder i looked and seen no critters if thats what it is what do you treat them with:he

I just went to the feed store and got stuff to spray on the roosts and surrounding areas. Last week, I dusted them with powder I got from them. I don't know if that is my problem, but felt I needed to do something. The local feed store can recommend something. Merry

DE!!! Use as a preventative also, you don't have to wait to see the bugs! This works with all animals and people areas as well and plants (garden). It's 100% natural and can't hurt you or any animal. And it works as good if not better than chemicals! If you can buy in bulk that's even better. Put it on them, in their bedding and/or dust bath areas.

WHAT IS DIATOMACEOUS EARTH? Diatomaceous earth (DE) contains the fossil remains of diatoms, a type of algae which produces skeletons made of non-crystalline silica. Almost universally, the diatoms obtain silica from the volcanic ash which falls into the water in which the diatoms grow. Over time, these lakes have drained out, dried out, exposing volumes of these fossil remains, many feet deep. This material is now called diatomaceous earth.

HOW DOES IT WORK? This type of insect control is physical rather that chemical. The microscopic fossil damages the skin, joints and mouthparts of the insect and absorb body fluids. Insects die within one to two days from dehydration. Pests cannot and will not build up resistance to this method, which happens when using chemicals.

WHAT ARE THE USES? This EPA approved product is a NATURAL powerful insect killer. Can be applied to poultry as a dusting powder, used indoor/outdoor around the barn or house, anywhere area will stay dry. Effectively kills and controls ants, boxelder bugs, carpet beetles, crickets, earwigs, flies, mites, silverfish, slugs, snails, ticks, scorpions, almost any insects with a waxy coating will succumb to dehydration when the sharp dagger like points scratch it.
Shipped Prepaid.

Dia-Secticide: "Environmental User Friendly Insecticide For Today's Generation." Comes in a 9oz. Puff Bottle and 3 lb Tub. Easy to apply to cracks, crevices or use as a duster for plants, cats, dogs, poultry or other livestock. Can be used in dusting pan or applied with puff bottle or Dust Applicator.

Amy J.

Hi there, do you have any food grade DE ? Diatomaceous Earth (sp?) Some feed stores may have it or a natural food store.
Anyways it's a good for mites lices etc & is good to mix in their feed. Here's a link about it. If ya want use the search feature & there are more posts about it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3688
With your chics that young, I myself won't use any chemicals.
Maybe someone else can give ya some more advice.
Miriam

I've used Sevin, but I don't think you really should. Apparently it's poison and will definitely kill mites, but other things too. I've never had a problem using it, but I can't recommend it.

What about Diatomaceous earth? Won't that kill all bugs? I'm sure they sell something geared specifically towards chickens.

Look under their chins. If there are mites you will see clusters of teeny tiny white eggs stuck to the shaft of the feathers just under their chin. You might also see little red bugs on the skin. Good luck!

Portland Maine is known for it's natural lifestyles! Surely any farm supplier (especially local) or garden center (again local) would carry it. The chain store even carry it sometimes.
Ask for food grade. Ask any organic farmers (especially CSA ~Community Supported Agriculture~ farmers) and they will definitely be able to tell you were to get it local.
Amy J.

Back
Top Bottom