Chicken mom turned budgie mom!

I've found pet store budgies the most difficult to tame of the birds I have worked with. I can tame finches, larger parrots, even quails but not budgies which were not handled already from before they leave their nest. Very nervous animals through and through, and they do very poorly alone in my experience, not playing or showing any degree of personality because it's just so ingrained in them to live in a group, so I would strongly recommend buying another as soon as possible for its well-being.

This one looks female from the white on the nostrils but flash photography can alter the appearance. You would do best to add a male, as females are the more aggressive sex. Two males will get along, and a male and a female will get along. Two females may not once they are mature.
Yes I plan to get another one very soon. Here is a different pic in nature light from the window. I can get a better picture when I actually pic him up. He has more toys and better perches on the way and I'm picking up a much larger cage this afternoon.
Snapchat-1633682858.jpg

Pics of my set up. Dowel perches will be taken out as soon as my natural wood perches come in. Cuttlebone is on the way as well as platform perch and foraging toys. They are currently on a pellet and seed mix, I will be transitioning them to a high quality pellet diet. I am getting stainless steel feed bowls as well. Anything I'm missing?
20211129_080024.jpg

20211128_163043.jpg

Pics of my set up. Dowel perches will be taken out as soon as my natural wood perches come in. Cuttlebone is on the way as well as platform perch and foraging toys. They are currently on a pellet and seed mix, I will be transitioning them to a high quality pellet diet. I am getting stainless steel feed bowls as well. Anything I'm missing?
View attachment 2913195
View attachment 2913202
Looking good, they’re adorable 🥰
You could try offering some veggies, my budgie likes little broccoli or cauliflower florets and tiny carrot pieces.

Looking good, they’re adorable 🥰
You could try offering some veggies, my budgie likes little broccoli or cauliflower florets and tiny carrot pieces.
Awesome! I'll try that. They are both still terrified of me, I've been trying to hang out at the cage for different amounts of time throughout the day. They don't immediately fly away anymore, but still shake😔

Awesome! I'll try that. They are both still terrified of me, I've been trying to hang out at the cage for different amounts of time throughout the day. They don't immediately fly away anymore, but still shake😔
Don’t worry, they’ll get used to you. My budgie was also from a pet store (which I wouldn’t recommend or do again) and she was terrified of me for a long time. Just being in the same room helps, you could try reading to them in a quiet voice too.

Back
Top Bottom