Chicken mouth infection??

kangapoohbear

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2019
Our Little Rooster got in a fight with his brother the other day I got beat up pretty badly. I noticed some bleeding inside his mouth afterward but thought the other rooster had just pecked the flesh maybe beside his mouth. Today I noticed he wasn't eating very much, having trouble picking up the food. When I opened his mouth I saw this white gunk underneath his tongue and going back in his throat. Can anyone help me identify what it is and tell me how to treat it? I'm assuming it's some kind of infection. I will attach a picture if I can.
20190802_192454.jpg

It looks like fowl pox.....hopefully someone from the ER section will chime in soon!
Welcome and good luck!!!!
The black all over his comb is dried blood from the fight with his brother. He had a beautiful red comb before that. It's the gunk in his mouth that I'm worried about.

Try to smell his "breath." If there's a foul odor, it's canker. If there's no odor, it could be fowl pox or possibly cancer.
I think theres an odor. Is canker the same as thrush? From what I've seen on the internet it seems it might be that. We've been applying Nystatin with a Q-tip and some of the yellow stuff is sloughing off but still quite thick underneath his tounge which is causing trouble eating. Concerned that he's not getting enough to drink so we're feeding him water with a syringe. Any recommendations on what else I should or could be doing would really be appreciated!

Wet fowl pox can look like both thrush or canker, and is caused by a virus. Thrush is a candida infection, which is a fungus. It is treated by antifungal medicines, such as Nystatin or Fluconazole. Canker is caused by a protozoan, and is treated with metronidazole (Fish Zole, Flagyl,) 250 mg given orally daily for 5-6 days. You can find most of those online without a prescription for fish or pigeons.

Back
Top Bottom