Chicken mouth infection??

Wet fowl pox can look like both thrush or canker, and is caused by a virus. Thrush is a candida infection, which is a fungus. It is treated by antifungal medicines, such as Nystatin or Fluconazole. Canker is caused by a protozoan, and is treated with metronidazole (Fish Zole, Flagyl,) 250 mg given orally daily for 5-6 days. You can find most of those online without a prescription for fish or pigeons.
Thank you so much for the information! I had been leaning toward thrush as a diagnosis but now I'm considering canker. Images I found online can look very similar. Think I'll go ahead and treat him with copper sulfate as well as the Nystatin. Please share anything else that occurs to you that might be helpful. Y'all are great!

Thank you so much for the information! I had been leaning toward thrush as a diagnosis but now I'm considering canker. Images I found online can look very similar. Think I'll go ahead and treat him with copper sulfate as well as the Nystatin. Please share anything else that occurs to you that might be helpful. Y'all are great!

Our little rooster is no better. Here's what we've done so far. First assumed thrush and treated it with Nystatin cream and vetrx. No better. Then treated for canker with fish zole and copper sulfate. No better. No change in his appetite and he seems to feel fine as long as we keep him well hydrated ( with broken bottom beak and build up under his tongue he has trouble drinking) What now?? He's not showing any signs of respiratory infection but, since I've tried everything else, I started him on erythromyacin this morning. I'm trying to avoid taking him to the vet but starting to get concerned. Any more input and advice from y'all would be greatly appreciate appreciated! Here are some pictures from this morning.

Attachments

• 20190815_125048.jpg
    20190815_125048.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20190815_125138.jpg
    20190815_125138.jpg
    309.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190815_125123.jpg
    20190815_125123.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 6
with broken bottom beak and build up under his tongue he has trouble drinking) What now??
The bottom beak is broken? I don't see that in the previous posts - was it initially or has it "softened" and started to come apart?

At this point it may be worth a shot to try the antibiotics. If you have vet care that would be good too - they can take swabs and hopefully get a better idea of how to proceed with treatment.

The bottom beak is broken? I don't see that in the previous posts - was it initially or has it "softened" and started to come apart?

At this point it may be worth a shot to try the antibiotics. If you have vet care that would be good too - they can take swabs and hopefully get a better idea of how to proceed with treatment.
From everything that I'm seeing and reading I'm starting to believe more that it's wet fowl pox. Taking him to the vet tomorrow.

In one of your pictures, there are some spots that might be dry fowl pox. Wet fowl pox can look similar to canker, but does not have the bad rotten odor that canker is supposed to have. If it is fowl pox, then nothing will treat it. It just has to run it’s course over 3 weeks or so. Is any other chicken having spots or scabs? Here is a good link and a picture below to see what fowl pox look like:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

upload_2019-8-15_15-37-35.jpeg

Hi and thanks for the input. I've been reading about it today and think it's wet fowl pox. He has no odor and the majority of it seems to be in his mouth and around his beak. I'm really concerned about the beak because it seems to be eroding at the tip and on the side. I've been reading today that a vet will often times prescribe antibiotics for secondary infection. Does anyone have any experience with that lessening the symptoms or duration of this? And what about his beak? Will it grow back? Right now he can't eat or drink without help.

Pox lasts around 3 weeks. It can be painful to eat and drink, which is why the wet kind can be much more serious. I have not treated it, but @casportpony had several with it a few years ago. Antibiotics will not help the pox virus, but sometimes they may get an eye infection if there are scabs around eyes, and the antibiotic may help. But routinely, antibiotics are not given for pox. Your vet may be able to answer questions about the damaged beak.

Back
Top Bottom