Chicken "mutt" club!!!

Pics
Okay, had to post my mutts - actually, they are pure-bred Dottie Red Rocks! That would be wyanDOTTE/barred ROCK rooster crossed with new hampshire RED hens. The extra "I" in "Dottie" is for "I'm not sure grandpa was a Wyandotte". Most of my chickens are from the animal shelter where I work, so I think I also have Speckled Sussex x1, RIR x6, Ancona x2, Wyandotte hen x1, Easter Egger x1, and a black sex link hen that is the brother of the rooster who sired these chicks. I also have the 5 Barred Rocks and 3 New Hampshire Reds we bought. The Wyandotte roo moved to another farm.

gg706, I am so sorry about your eggs. We lost 48 of them when the incubator we were borrowing overheated - horrible! And the chicks you see here (the hen is their grandma who is my only broody hen) are no longer with us. A skunk got in and killed them all, ate the unhatched eggs and nearly killed my broody hen. However, he will not ever be able to do that again,
final score: dog - 1, skunk - 0.

YES! LOL I love the baby pictures! I'll be setting eggs on the 14th so I can get a hatch on or around May 5th. All mutts of course ;] I guess I will do LF instead of bantam.
I am planning to join in on the fun as well! Hoping to pick up some hatching eggs from a fellow BYCer. They are primarily a cross between Ameraucana/Leghorn over Austra-white hens. Planning to select out for both pea comb(blue egg) and the black feathers to breed them back together and select again for pure black. We will see
smile.png

OK, I finally was able to take a few minutes and snap some more photos of Winter The Mutt Silkie!!
Not as easy as it sounds, LOL, this chicken is scared to death of the camera
barnie.gif

I had to corner him in the far end of his run just to get a few. Then I followed him into the coop where he was trying to hide behind the hens.....Some Rooster he is, hiding, not protecting them....LOL

The above pics were the best out of about 70. most of them look like this:

I don't know why he is so afraid of the camera, he mostly tries to just hide when I have it with me. Poor little guy.
I did notice today while trying to get the pics that his earlobes are now mottled with the mulberry and turquoise color. He's just now about 1 year old. He has the cutest little crow.
Hope you enjoy!!

OK, I finally was able to take a few minutes and snap some more photos of Winter The Mutt Silkie!!
Not as easy as it sounds, LOL, this chicken is scared to death of the camera
barnie.gif

I had to corner him in the far end of his run just to get a few. Then I followed him into the coop where he was trying to hide behind the hens.....Some Rooster he is, hiding, not protecting them....LOL

The above pics were the best out of about 70. most of them look like this:

I don't know why he is so afraid of the camera, he mostly tries to just hide when I have it with me. Poor little guy.
I did notice today while trying to get the pics that his earlobes are now mottled with the mulberry and turquoise color. He's just now about 1 year old. He has the cutest little crow.
Hope you enjoy!!

Yay, Winter!!
wee.gif

He has to get used to the paparazzi lifestyle! Of course, now that you mention his crow we'll want to hear/see it on video.
tongue.png

Thanks for sharing. I think he's fabulous!

pretty cool lookin' dude! How do you keep his feather SO white? My light colored chickens look like dirt balls!

Haha! do Anacona/Ameracuana crosses count as mutts? I only have one, the rest are pure breeds, but she sure is pretty! I'm trying to get her to stay still so I can take a picture! She's only 1 month, but her head is orange-yellow,neak is darker orange spangled with dark grey, her body is light grey, and her tail and ...other areas ...are sorta dark grey.

Back
Top Bottom