Chicken neck scalped and large skin flap hanging

Rachelj08

Hatching
Jul 17, 2023
I have a 8 month isa brown chicken, it has been attacked by a dog. Its entire back of its neck skin has come off and its hanging.
The chicken is moving fine, eating and drinking. What should I do?

Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos?

Did this just happen?

Move her somewhere quiet so you can tend to her wounds.

General care is to clean/flush wounds with saline or chlorhexidine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Even when badly injured, a chicken can often try to act normal, but they can suffer from shock.
Provide her with some electrolytes or a little sugar water to help her through shock.
Make feed available.

We had a chicken last summer who was attacked by a possum. The possum pulled all of the hens skin and feathers off of the hen's thigh. My first thought was my hen was going to die. Replaced the hen in a box with ventilation and a large beach towel on top. We kept her thigh clean and moistened at all times (24/7) with Neosporin. I chose name brand Neosporin because it melted into bite areas.
We gave her unflavored pydiolyte mixed with water 50/50 and fed a scrambled egg and regular food omelet everyday. It took about 3 months, but her skin and feathers from her behind grew back and she is back with her old flock running around and fighting for the nest box she wants. She is still laying and seems to be in great spirits. She did grow back behind skin and has funky, fluffy behind feathers on her thigh now. :gig
If I can be of any help, I am willing. All though I am not a vet or an expert, Good luck @Rachelj08 :hugs

Last edited:
Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos?

Did this just happen?

Move her somewhere quiet so you can tend to her wounds.

General care is to clean/flush wounds with saline or chlorhexidine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment.

Even when badly injured, a chicken can often try to act normal, but they can suffer from shock.
Provide her with some electrolytes or a little sugar water to help her through shock.
Make feed available.
Photos attached here - it happened a couple of hours ago now
I have sprayed with some saline solution and did have it bandaged.

Attachments

• 356695672_1699237357180246_5848599775260783137_n.jpg
    356695672_1699237357180246_5848599775260783137_n.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 16
  • 356668502_1450112472453724_4222648121598910198_n.jpg
    356668502_1450112472453724_4222648121598910198_n.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 16
I would just keep it clean and apply ointment.
Leave it unbandaged. Trim some of the feathers away from the wound so they don't get stuck in the ointment or dry onto the wound.

Keep her where flies cannot get on the wound.

I know from experience that this is a bit scary. I have a hen who went through this type of injury from an attack that we never figured out who did it. She is now back to her old self, albeit her neck feathers still look weird and probably will until she molts.

Here is my thread if you want to walk the journey and see the progress. It took a good 3 months to get her back to the flock. @Wyorp Rock was the greatest help to me as I tended to LC.

I hope your hen gets well soon!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-attacked-by-what-i-dont-know.1559978/

We had a chicken last summer who was attacked by a possum. The possum pulled all of the hens skin and feathers off of the hen's thigh. My first thought was my hen was going to die. Replaced the hen in a box with ventilation and a large beach towel on top. We kept her thigh clean and moistened at all times (24/7) with Neosporin. I chose name brand Neosporin because it melted into bite areas.
We gave her unflavored pydiolyte mixed with water 50/50 and fed a scrambled egg and regular food omelet everyday. It took about 3 months, but her skin and feathers from her behind grew back and she is back with her old flock running around and fighting for the nest box she wants. She is still laying and seems to be in great spirits. She did grow back behind skin and has funky, fluffy behind feathers on her thigh now. :gig
If I can be of any help, I am willing. All though I am not a vet or an expert, Good luck @Rachelj08 :hugs
Thank you, it is very reassuring to know other chickens have recovered from some similar injuries. Will take your advise and give her some pydiolyte and scrambled egg for extra protein :)

I know from experience that this is a bit scary. I have a hen who went through this type of injury from an attack that we never figured out who did it. She is now back to her old self, albeit her neck feathers still look weird and probably will until she molts.

Here is my thread if you want to walk the journey and see the progress. It took a good 3 months to get her back to the flock. @Wyorp Rock was the greatest help to me as I tended to LC.

I hope your hen gets well soon!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hen-attacked-by-what-i-dont-know.1559978/
Thank you for sharing the link to your thread! Will have a read through and take all the advise I can get to help her have a speedy recovery

Back
Top Bottom