Chicken Newbie from Central CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Flowergirl228, May 25, 2012.

  1. Flowergirl228

    Flowergirl228 Hatching

    6
    0
    7
    May 25, 2012
    Central Coast, California
    Hello Fellow Chicken Lovers!

    I'm fairly new to chicken keeping...my awesome boyfriend got me three female cuckoo marans chicks for my birthday earlier this year and they are about 4 months old now. I am loving watching them grow and develop personalities...I can finally tell them all apart! After taking a poll at my workplace, I decided to name them after three of the Golden Girls: Dorothy, Blanche, and Rose.

    Dorothy is my big girl...and the one who likes to be handled the least. Despite her size, she seems to be the more timid of the trio.

    Rose is the sweet one...she's the first hen that allowed me to pick her up without fussing too much. Now I can pretty much hold her whenever (as long as she's not in the middle of a meal!) and she will sit and perch on my arm or shoulder while I make my regular inspection of their coop and run.

    Blanche is the runt of the group and has always been smaller than her sisters, but she makes up for it with spunk!

    Unfortunately, earlier this week, I noticed that Blanche was having trouble breathing: she was wheezing and breathing with her beak open, though otherwise she seemed completely fine. I made an appointment to take her to the local avian & exotic animal vet the next day, and by the time we made it to the vet's office, her wheezing had gotten worse. Again, though, there were no other signs that anything was wrong; no strange discharge, no puffiness in her face, no change in color of her tiny comb or waddle, and she didn't seem unusually skinny. When we arrived, the vet tech put her on oxygen right away and the vet checked her out while I discussed the symptoms with the tech.

    Long story short, they started her on a nebulizer treatment with anti-fungal medication, along with an injected antibiotic and have kept her for three days. She is still eating well and in good spirits but she's not responding at all to any of the treatments and they've had to keep her on oxygen for the past 24-hours. The next step would be to do an endoscopy to see if there is a blockage of any kind in her trachea, but the vet isn't sure that is a good course of action because of her current condition.

    Has anyone else had this happen to their bird(s)? I'm not sure what else to do at this point...if I bring her home, I'm afraid she will just slowly suffocate to death and I don't want her to suffer...is the only other alternative to have her put down? I really hope it's not...[​IMG]

    Also, I've been keeping a very close eye on her sisters to see if they develop any symptoms but so far they seem completely normal...
     
  2. [​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!
    So sorry to hear about your girl! It is always so hard to see them suffer, sound like you have done the right thing by taking her to the vet. I haven't had this in my chickens. But what ever you learn from this it will help many of us if you decide to share with us!
     
  3. weimarmama

    weimarmama Crowing

    20,239
    183
    348
    Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. So sorry to hear about Blanche. Sounds like you're doing everything you can. [​IMG]
     
  4. 4-H chicken mom

    4-H chicken mom Crowing

    17,486
    123
    371
    Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck, I hope it works out OK. :hugs
     
  5. Kevin565

    Kevin565 Crowing

    43,519
    568
    486
    Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]
     
  6. Flowergirl228

    Flowergirl228 Hatching

    6
    0
    7
    May 25, 2012
    Central Coast, California
    Thanks everyone for your welcome and kind words...the vet is thinking there's not much hope for Blanche, but I went to visit her today and aside from the wheezing, she seems pretty normal to me. I've decided to keep her there one more night to see if she shows any signs of improvement...I really don't want to make the tough call I think I might have to make. [​IMG]
     
  7. Scooter&Suzie

    Scooter&Suzie Songster

    2,512
    42
    211
    Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]
     
  8. sumi

    sumi Égalité

    38,753
    19,711
    1,182
    Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC! Good luck with your chicken [​IMG]
     
  9. Flowergirl228

    Flowergirl228 Hatching

    6
    0
    7
    May 25, 2012
    Central Coast, California
    Hi all -

    Thank you for all the welcomes and support about my poor sick girl. I have some great news to share, though! I went to the vet Friday after work to see how she was doing and to see if I would really have to put her down...I couldn't say the words. The kind vet tech asked if I wanted to keep her there another night, though she didn't have much hope because apparently birds typically react very quickly to treatments. I asked her to please keep Blanche for another night, just in case. The next morning (Saturday), I got a call from the vet on duty who gave me the best news I'd heard all week: Blanche had made a full recovery and was no longer wheezing; she was actually wandering around the clinic, pecking around and looking for food that morning! They requested to keep her over the long weekend, in case her symptoms returned but from what they told me today she was completely fine the entire time, and I get to pick her up this afternoon and take her home!

    Don't know what did it, but I am so relieved and grateful! [​IMG]
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: