Chicken newby coop construction

nab58

Songster
6 Years
Mar 28, 2013
CT
My family is new to chickens.

We live in rural CT at the end of a cul-de-sac with 9 acres. I purchased 6 red sex link chicks from TSC after I had already ordered a pre-fab coop on-line. The pre-fab coop was very disappointing and has been disassembled and is being returned. I found a coop plan here and talked my husband into building it. We made a lot of progress this weekend and have all framed with the walls up. The comparison between the pre-fab piece of junk to an actual 'building' is unbelievable. This thing is going to last forever!

This is what we are building. Could someone recommend the best placement of the roosting poles? I'm not sure the pictures have it in the best place. It should be high and by a window, right? would above the nesting boxes be okay? won't they poop all over the nesting boxes if they sleep above them?

http://www.downeastthunderfarm.com/free-chicken-coop-plans/

Update on our coop progress....

Coming along nicely. The coop itself is almost done. we are still digging to bury fencing for the run. if we had any idea the number and size of rocks we'd encounter, we certainly would have done things differently. :(

Nice coop! I am building mine now; I worked on it about 15 hours this past weekend. Eventually I'll start a thread with pics of my progress, bu for now I'm just enjoying other people's work and getting ideas.

It certainly is fascinating to see all the different coop designs and creative modifications people come up with on this site! We have very little experience in woodworking so we were forced to follow someone else's design and hope for the best.

My role (as the wife and mother) has been assisting, gopher, painter, etc. I got to do some measuring and cutting when we were framing but my older son has taken over constructing the walls and such and is very territorial. He's also slow as molasses so progress has not moved along as quickly as I'd like. He's promised me he'd be done by the end of the week so I'm crossing my fingers!

Good luck with you coop, will look forward to watching it progress!

Don't bother burying fence to deter diggers, do an apron, much easier and more effective.
Good thread on aprons here.

Last edited:
Very nice solid build! The nests on one side of the coop and roost bars on the other works great (I think that is what you have or shown in the link). A ramp or ladder up to the bar is always nice and discourages a lot of flapping and flying dust. Odd that the windows above the roost bar swing open inward. It would have been nice if they titled out so that they can be open during most rain showers. Hopefully you have a vent or opening up at the peak roof eave so that hot air can escape. This should make a fine coop!!

chickens spent their first night outdoors! It's great to have them out of the house....still need to clean the mess in the basement!

We had a few issues...
Our toy poodle will not leave them alone. He barks and whines outside the coop (run is not finished) until we go get him. I sat on the step outside the coop with him and another one of our 4 dogs who was interested and watched the chickens with him until he was calm but it didn't seem to help. he's driving us nuts!

Had to use the heat lamp last night as the temp was in the 30's. They did okay but I had to shut it off this morning before I went to work. I guess I need a timer so I can leave it on until 9am or so.

Nipple waterer we made from a gallon milk container is leaving a wet spot on the floor when the chickens drink and dribble. I'm not sure why that's happening. Is the waterer too low?

OMG..they poop a lot! Checked on them this morning and was amazed at how much poop was in the tray and everywhere else. I can see daily cleanings will be in order. I hope my son finished their run today so they can distribute the poo elsewhere. :)

Here are a few pics of the gals.....

The run is done and the girls love it!

Maiden voyage...one pullet is much bolder than the rest and came right out the door as soon as I opened it.

Back
Top Bottom