chicken nipple installment question

Chicken Outlaw

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Cushing, Okla.
I got my nipples today so will be doing this tomorrow, none of the instructions say whether a small hole is needed or loose fitting lid. or anything like that so .... am I going to need a small hole or something or do these work with a lid with no hole?

Thanks

CackleSpackle

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 13, 2013
Central Florida
If you put the nipple in the lid of a bottle and hang it upside down, you need a small hole in the bottom of the bottle (which will be at the top after you hang it) so it doesn't become "vacuum locked". The bottle will work for a little while, then stop working if the pressure can't equalize.

newburt

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Mize Mississippi
You will need to put a very small hole of some kind in the lid of the bucket, or do what I do and just dont squeeze the lid tight all the way around. I tend to just snap the lid shut about 60% of the way around to ensure that I leave a way for air to get in. What kind of nipples did you get? Just wondering. I ordered mine from cconly poultry and I am very very satisfied with the performance so far and this keeps my water so much cleaner and available to my chickens.

Chicken Outlaw

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
Cushing, Okla.
You will need to put a very small hole of some kind in the lid of the bucket, or do what I do and just dont squeeze the lid tight all the way around. I tend to just snap the lid shut about 60% of the way around to ensure that I leave a way for air to get in. What kind of nipples did you get? Just wondering. I ordered mine from cconly poultry and I am very very satisfied with the performance so far and this keeps my water so much cleaner and available to my chickens.

I got them from someone on here that has a BYC special ... can't remember the name. They're red, they had a rubber seal ... pretty good ones. Put them in the bottom of a kitty litter bucket, they did not leak. The chickens haven't used them yet, though.

newburt

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
Mize Mississippi
Mine caught on very quickly. I did not leave another water source in the pen while I was training them and I fed them directly under the waterer and they all learned in 1 day. Sounds like u are using the same nipples that I am.

Top Bottom