Chicken Noob needs help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CWortman, Nov 15, 2009.

1. CWortman

CWortman New Egg

Nov 15, 2009
    Well, when we get our income tax back we are planning to start a chicken coop. I am wondering if anyone has any words of wisdom for us. We are planning to raise the chickens for food and eggs for our family. I have already bought a couple books and was looking for some advice from the "Veterans".

2. Airilith

Airilith Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
  3. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    This is a great source for information and there are plenty of people here with expertise in every facet of poultry-keeping who are always more than happy to help. One piece of advice I (and I'm sure others) will offer is to build your coop bigger than you need for the amount of birds you "think" you're going to have, because I was only going to keep 6 or 8 and am at 28 and counting right now.... and that was just in 1 year! Facility expansion and future planning continue as we speak :)

4. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    def build your coop bigger expanding the flock is almost always going to happen lol i started out with 12 in my original flock i added 2 more for laying purposes and i just got rid of 1 and replaced it with 12 more so a bigger coop is necessary. always have the roosts higher than the nest boxes um and predator proof it as much as you can btw welcome to the wonderful world of back yard chicken raising

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    My advise: Make the coop bigger than you think you need. You WILL get addicted and want more, then you'll just be building another coop.

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    new2chooks once again proves to be very wise!

7. CWortman

CWortman New Egg

Nov 15, 2009
    I have a out building that is approx 12ft wide and 20ft deep with a ceiling of about 8ft. i was gonna divide half of it for chickens and other half for food storage etc. So the inside would be approx 6ft wide. I have plenty of room for making a outside pen area for them to peck etc. i was looking in to getting 12-20 chickens. do female chickens need a rooster for the chickens to lay eggs? also what would be a good hearty breed for michigan weather.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  8. twister

twister Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Mississippi
    you do not need a rooster for a hen to lay eggs.

welcome, this place is very informative and addictive.

PLEASE read up on predators and how to safegaurd against them. Have your coop ready for lockdown BEFORE getting your birds. That can not be stressed enough.

9. CWortman

CWortman New Egg

Nov 15, 2009
    Just for them to hatch? i was planning to build a 6ft high fence outside and lay over the top this netting i saw at a lowes store called bird netting. to prevent avian predators. the outside fence i was planning to build, i was gonna either attach it to wood on the ground or bury the fencing.

10. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Lots of Ventilation is a must!!! Good Luck! [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by