Chicken not drinking

Elise14

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 11, 2013
I have an almost three year old chicken who has had impacted crop three times since January.
It was cured in six days the first two times but now she will not drink any water.I don't think she likes water and that she isn't drinking enough and that is why she keeps getting it.
I have slowly broke up the impaction and now it is the size of a golf ball.I am now at a stand still because she will not drink and is very picky.
What can i do to get her to drink water now and when she gets better? Also do you know what else might be causing her to get the impaction?

Last edited:
I'm not sure how to get her to drink water but you could try to give her buttermilk or yogurt. That would be calories for energy and liquid for hydration. Sorry I don't know what to tell you, the only bird I've ever had get impacted crop died so I'm not much help. Hopefully someone will come along with a solution for you.

I wish I could give her yogurt but she won't even eat a little bit she hates it so much.

Have you tried adding some Apple Cider Vinegar to her water? If not, maybe worth a try... chickens do in general like the taste... caution... only add to plastic water containers.

It may be a good idea to use a "dropper" with the ACV in it... put some on her beak and she will hopefully swallow some - she needs to be hydrated and kept somewhere warm. Have you tried scrambled eggs or tuna? She will get some fluid from eating either of those.

Have you tried adding some Apple Cider Vinegar to her water? If not, maybe worth a try... chickens do in general like the taste... caution... only add to plastic water containers.

It may be a good idea to use a "dropper" with the ACV in it... put some on her beak and she will hopefully swallow some - she needs to be hydrated and kept somewhere warm. Have you tried scrambled eggs or tuna? She will get some fluid from eating either of those.

I tried giving it to her but she hates it so much.She starts trying to get her head away from me when i give it to her ):
Last time i cured it by giving her really buttery scrambled egg whites (because she is so picky she won't eat the yoke) but i made her some and she wouldn't even touch them!!!
why can't you put it in glass? I have been giving it to her in a glass container D:
I am also giving her chick starter soaked in water (advice from another thread) and her comb is perking up :D

The water is clean and fresh I bet. She could be force fed or inject I. V . saline solution underneath the skin on the back of her neck if you are afraid she will die. Will she eat raw egg yolk?

Back
Top Bottom