Chicken not eating, acting lethargic, need help

vantain

Songster
Sep 2, 2018
Southern Minnesota
My hen Winnie is going through another bout of crop issues. I have her on the Miconazole, due to her having some doughy crop yesterday. Today the doughy part is gone, and her crop is more watery. I think that is all that is now, since she has not eaten today at all. She will drink from her waterer from time to time, but not a lot.

I'm unsure where to go from here. She doesn't appear to be interested in eating anything. I have tried wetting her feed, and giving her scrambled eggs. She ignores all of it.

She last laid an egg two days ago. She is not egg bound from what I can tell. She is standing, and just seems to want to be out of her cage. She's inside, where it is warm. It's only 28 degrees outside today, so I thought I would keep her inside.

Any thoughts on what else I could try with her? Her crop is not empty in the morning, though it was smaller this morning than it has been for the last couple of days.

This is what she just pooped. It’s more solid than it has been over the last two days, and is pasty.
4B99996A-5264-4EEC-9E3A-5E2CB295DAE1.jpeg

Her crop was empty this morning. I tried giving her some cooked eggs, but she wouldn’t eat it. I gave her some of her feed, but she would t touch that either. I tried some chopped apples, and that she devoured. She seems to be extremely picky with her food right now.

I think it’s internal laying. She spends a lot of time in the nesting boxes, the behaves like she laid an egg, but there is nothing there.
She does eat, but very little. She won’t eat the normal feed, only meal worms or scratch grains. She even ignores yogurt and boiled eggs.

Looks like today is her day to to be helped into the great beyond! I hate to do this part, but she's suffering greatly. She has not eaten or had anything to drink now in over 20 hours, and is just showing sings of giving up.

Im so sorry :hugs :hugs
If you want, you can read something about forced alimentation. But for me its difficult to say something useful about the treatment.
Im very sorry for your hen :hugs

Back
Top Bottom