Chicken not eating HELP

Gayelynne

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 24, 2014
15429126603278352707278560781517.jpg
15429126603278352707278560781517.jpg
My Chicken had a impacted crop I did empty it now shes been resting all night. This moring she wont eat soft food gave her CV in drinking water. All she wants to do is sleep any one have any advice? Do I force feed her? Do I leave her Rest. Shes like a bag of bones from not eating for 3-4 days I dont want to lose her. Please someone help tell me what to do? I tried letting her walk around today no good just lays down. Desperately need advice.

I don't have any good ideas, but normally to get my chicks to eat I put a crumble at the tip of their mouth and they sort of lick it off.

Thank you but I tried putting her beak in the food no good. But she did drink a tiny bit of water.

You need to make sure that her crop is properly empty. Sometimes the crop feels okay but there is still a blockage at the bottom of the crop preventing food entering the gizzard.
Will she drink?
If she will then getting a vitamin supplement such as Nutridrench into her so she's hydrated would be my next step. A liquid vitamin supplement for humans will do if you can't find one specifically for chickens.
It is possible, if you massaged the crop to remove the blockage that her crop is sore. This may discourage her from eating solids.
Below is a very good article on syringe feeding.
You could start by trying to syringe feed scrabbled egg which will squeeze through a syringe. Other foods I've used in an emergency is pured cat food, yogurt with a bit of honey mixed in and protein drink.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Thank you so much I will try that. Yes I did do that massaged it alot to try to get it all out. She takes tiny bits of a drink but I keep trying. Not much at all. I dont want to lose her.

View attachment 1597225 View attachment 1597225 My Chicken had a impacted crop I did empty it now shes been resting all night. This moring she wont eat soft food gave her CV in drinking water. All she wants to do is sleep any one have any advice? Do I force feed her? Do I leave her Rest. Shes like a bag of bones from not eating for 3-4 days I dont want to lose her. Please someone help tell me what to do? I tried letting her walk around today no good just lays down. Desperately need advice.
I'm sorry your hen is not well.
How is she?
You mention the crop was impacted but you emptied it? How did you do that?
Is she pooping at all? Photos of the poop?
When you check the crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks does the crop still have something in it?

You want her hydrated before you even think about feeding her.
Tell us little more about your hen - when was the last time she laid an egg?
When you examine her, do you feel any swelling/bloat or fluid in the abdomen?

Often times a crop problem is a symptom of something else going on. Reproductive problems, worms, Coccidiosis, infection can all cause inflammation in the body which slows the digestive system.

I would try to carefully get some water into her, then about 1tsp of coconut oil. Massage the crop a few times a day. Even though you felt you got the impaction cleared, she may have a blockage somewhere lower.

Let us know how she is, hopefully with a little more info and photos we can give you further suggestions.

She looks quite ill in the photo. Did you vomit her? Is it possible her crop contents aspirated into her lungs? Is her breathing normal? It looks like you have her indoors, which is good. Is it nice and warm? I would give her a little bit of nutridrench (undiluted) straight to the beak if you have it.

How is she?
When you check the crop first thing in the morning before she eats/drinks does the crop still have something in it?

Often times a crop problem is a symptom of something else going on. Reproductive problems, worms, Coccidiosis, infection can all cause inflammation in the body which slows the digestive system.

I would try to carefully get some water into her, then about 1tsp of coconut oil. Massage the crop a few times a day. Even though you felt you got the impaction cleared, she may have a blockage somewhere lower.

Let us know how she is, hopefully with a little more info and photos we can give you further suggestions.
well today shes not looking good at all she did empty the crop and pooped alot through the night I tried to feed her she wont even eat I give her water with a syringe shes a bag of bones.
shes list all will to live I'm so sad.

How is she?

Shes not looking good at all today she did empty her crop last night and pooped I will take a picture and show you her pop Shes lost all will to live she wont eat i gave her water in a syringe shes just falls down wont stand up. I even tried taking her out by the flock she just sat there and i brought her back in. Can i give her a shot of something I think shes staring to death I'm so heartbroken. I pretty much tended to her all day yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom