Chicken not eating or drinking much

Pics

Catalyst

Chirping
Feb 21, 2020
Hello everyone. I am new and I am happy to find this forum as I think thus is the only forum which is helpful as I am from a poor country and there are little to no good veterinary doctors.
If you please, I bought some this chick he/she is about 9 weeks old. Since yesterday I am seeing that it is not eating, so today I checked and found that his coup was all filled with water. So I generally massaged the area and it went flat with a bulge kind of solidish matter left his coup, I massaged that too and it went down as well.
I fed his some fine corn flour and mixed it with some yogurt and made small balls with and feed him manually. Then left him with his mates. He just went and sat in the corner on a high stair.
In the evening I came back and checked his coup was still filled with just water.
The chick is playful still but noticed that his poop has some undigested grains and some greens because I feed them daily some spanich and alfalfa.
Can you kindly help me out please. I am just a lot worried. Thank you.
Note there is no foul smell coming from mouth or coup etc.

Attachments

• IMG_20200221_191337.jpg
    IMG_20200221_191337.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20200221_191449_LL.jpg
    IMG_20200221_191449_LL.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200221_191431_LL.jpg
    IMG_20200221_191431_LL.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 13
9 weeks old. Since yesterday I am seeing that it is not eating, so today I checked and found that his coup was all filled with water. So I generally massaged the area and it went flat with a bulge kind of solidish matter left his coup, I massaged that too and it went down as well.
I fed his some fine corn flour and mixed it with some yogurt and made small balls with and feed him manually. Then left him with his mates. He just went and sat in the corner on a high stair.
In the evening I came back and checked his coup was still filled with just water.
The chick is playful still but noticed that his poop has some undigested grains and some greens because I feed them daily some spanich and alfalfa.
Can you kindly help me out please. I am just a lot worried. Thank you.
Note there is no foul smell coming from mouth or coup etc.

Welcome To BYC!

Isn't he cute!
Do your chicks have access to grit?
What do you normally feed - do you have access to poultry feed or is the corn flour, spinach and alfalfa their normal diet?

It does sound like your chick has a crop problem. Even if there's no smell, if it's not emptying it can turn sour fairly quickly.
I think I would start with treating like Sour Crop or at least give him a bit of oil. If the crop is water filled, I would not massage it for fear of him aspirating.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
If the corn flour, spinach and alfalfa are the normal diet, I think I would soak or even cook the flour to make it into a soupy mash for the time being, making it easier to process. Grains, I would also soak. The chickens do need to have access to a source of grit or small stones so they can grind up foods.
The poop photo, it looks like he may be eating longish strands of the alfalfa? It may be that he's getting "clogged up" and is having a hard time passing it. Hopefully with some oil and your care, you can get him back on his feet.

Welcome To BYC!

Isn't he cute!
Do your chicks have access to grit?
What do you normally feed - do you have access to poultry feed or is the corn flour, spinach and alfalfa their normal diet?

It does sound like your chick has a crop problem. Even if there's no smell, if it's not emptying it can turn sour fairly quickly.
I think I would start with treating like Sour Crop or at least give him a bit of oil. If the crop is water filled, I would not massage it for fear of him aspirating.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
If the corn flour, spinach and alfalfa are the normal diet, I think I would soak or even cook the flour to make it into a soupy mash for the time being, making it easier to process. Grains, I would also soak. The chickens do need to have access to a source of grit or small stones so they can grind up foods.
The poop photo, it looks like he may be eating longish strands of the alfalfa? It may be that he's getting "clogged up" and is having a hard time passing it. Hopefully with some oil and your care, you can get him back on his feet.

Thank you so much for your kind reply. I will be brief about the matters you asked.
There normal diet which i made at home consists of the following.
I have made a diet/Kg as under;
30% Corn
30% Wheat
10% Millet
10% Oats
10% Fish Meal
10% whole sunflower seeds
1-2 Teaspoon of dried Garlic Powder

Apart from this me mom makes them mushy wheat husks mixed flour and mix them with the greens which includes alfalfa+Spanish+Reddish leaves (if available) this is feed to them on regular bases twice or sometimes just once a day.

As far as Grit is concern I have put some a good amount of small stones which they can easily pick.

As he/she (I am still not sure it's a hen or a rooster hehe sorry) was not eating right now so made a liquidish meal and put some olive oil like 8-10 drops in it and feed him manually in my lap and he himself ate the rest. I gave him some more olive oil drops manually.

He pooped in lap hehe
And I love my cuties. They will climb on my shoulders when I sit near them. I would kiss them on their head (I think I sound weird gene sorry)
Poop photo attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20200221_193102_LL.jpg
    IMG_20200221_193102_LL.jpg
    738 KB · Views: 13
I am from Pakistan. I don't have open fields (they are in one of my rooms which was not in use, it's 15x14 feet room) but I regularly change their bedding and clean/wash their room twice or once a month. Can they still get worms and diseases?

I am from Pakistan. I don't have open fields (they are in one of my rooms which was not in use, it's 15x14 feet room) but I regularly change their bedding and clean/wash their room twice or once a month. Can they still get worms and diseases?
Yes, even if birds are not in open fields they can still become overloaded with Coccidiosis or even become symptomatic from certain diseases.
Bedding should be kept dry. The room they are in should have plenty of ventilation/fresh air coming in. Water stations cleaned daily, etc.

Chickens need a source of grit to properly digest foods and it's a good idea to also have dirt for dust bathing. Ideally, being outside is better since chickens are dusty, can be stinky and they make a mess. You're breathing in a lot of chicken dust is not good for you either.

Do you have access to a Coccidiostat? Amprolium, Baycox or Coxoid? If you do, I would treat at least this one with a Coccidiostat to see if that helps, but the rest may benefit from treatment as well.

If you cannot find amprollium, sulfonamide antibiotics may be useful for treating coccidiosis. Sulfamethazine, sulfadimazine, or sulfadimethoxine are ones that might be available in Pakistan. Those can be used in the water. Amprollium is a bit safer, but some may find that it isn’t as available in some places.

Update on the Chicken.
I gave him 1 teaspoon or 3 ml of olive oil in the morning and massaged him. Noticed him that he has become more active now (like before this). will give him a spoon tomorrow as well and update.
As you guys seem to be more knowing the feed i made and shared with you above is it good? or there needs to be something missing? please lemme know.
Yes, I will shift them to my room on the roof. Iiis more open there. I change water twice or thrice daily.and the room is dry i mean the bedding is dry as i have server machine that runs there 24/7 hehe.
I will definitely look for any Coccidiostat i can find.

Back
Top Bottom