Chicken not eating or drinking much

Can you take any photos?
White poop can be a sign of dehydration - do they all seem to be eating/drinking well?
Can please tell me is this poop okay? I am worried after seeing all on that internet that it could be caused by kidney failure. :(

Attachments

• IMG_20200311_172934.jpg
    IMG_20200311_172934.jpg
    641.2 KB · Views: 6
Nope. As i was told if there are no signs then it is of no use.
Oh.... Well :(
Can you get a fecal float?

None of us are vets here, so posts are generally personal opinion, so I will give you mine.
To me the poop is not normal. It has a lot of mucous in it. IF the chicks were mine, I would treat for Coccidiosis. Preferably I would use Amprolium but if all I had was the Sulfa antibiotic like you pictured, then I would use that to see if that makes a difference.

Nutrition may be playing a role in this...I'm not a nutritionist, but do some reading up to see if you need to adjust what you are feeding.

Just my 2¢

X2, I thought you were going to treat for coccidiosis. I would rather treat for it, and it turn out to not be that, than to not treat and lose chickens.

Oh.... Well :(
Can you get a fecal float?

None of us are vets here, so posts are generally personal opinion, so I will give you mine.
To me the poop is not normal. It has a lot of mucous in it. IF the chicks were mine, I would treat for Coccidiosis. Preferably I would use Amprolium but if all I had was the Sulfa antibiotic like you pictured, then I would use that to see if that makes a difference.

Nutrition may be playing a role in this...I'm not a nutritionist, but do some reading up to see if you need to adjust what you are feeding.

Just my 2¢
I really agree with all of that. I just want to interject that there are a few vets here. Mary @Folly's place is a vet who also raises chickens.
She and others are very valuable assets on a site like this.

I agree that many contribute their knowledge from their experience and it is usually valuable too but sometimes anecdotal at best and not based entirely on science. Sometimes I equate it to getting advice from a feed store employee. Not always the best source.

Last edited:
The OP is located in Pakistan, and vets, commercial chicken feed and lab tests are pretty scarce. Treating for possible coccidiosis would be pretty harmless. Amprollium is a good first choice, but the sulfa is the knly one available, and sometimes preferred in serious cases. It would be wonderful if some of the members who are vets would chime in to offer advice, but many do not.

I don't have good advise for someone in Pakistan, having no idea what's available that hasn't already been mentioned.
Also, no idea what parasites or diseases are found where the OP lives.
And, playing 'Dr. Google' isn't always actually useful, sad to say.
I hope things work out for the best...
Mary

I really agree with all of that. I just want to interject that there are a few vets here. Mary @Folly's place is a vet who also raises chickens.
She and others are very valuable assets on a site like this.

I agree that many contribute their knowledge from their experience and it is usually valuable too but sometimes anecdotal at best and not based entirely on science. Sometimes I equate it to getting advice from a feed store employee. Not always the best source.
So so sorry that you have to wade through BYC and have to come on here and deal with the dredges of society and of people the caliber of feed store employees. It's an honor that your here :bow

Yes, I realize there are vets that are members of BYC so what? Oh, I forgot...dumb as a feed store employee, I guess I didn't have a clue.
As far as I can tell, the handful of vets that are members are here to participate as individuals and as part of the BYC Community like most of the rest of us, not in an official capacity.

Back
Top Bottom