Chicken not so alert

Marie2020

Addict
May 12, 2020
My chicken has become timid towards me the last few months.

She has relatively firm poops but there is yellow in it. Which makes me think of water infection. Her comb is rather pale. She is not laying but she over laid sometimes up to three eggs a day until the end of last year.

The confusing part is she's eating really well fights for the treats and is still very much part of the family.

She has never coped too well in the heat and for us it's hot here right now.
She was born April 2018 the same as my other girls.

I've looked up ocular mareks and there's no purple comb and she's walking fine except maybe a little slow. I put that down to her eating so much.

Any ideas please.

What made you think of ocular Mareks? At 3 years old she could be developing some sort of reproductive disorder. How long ago did she stop laying? Can you post any pictures of her poop, and of her standing? Thanks so much for getting back.

It was only a thoughtful persons suggestion. But I don't believe this is the case now.

I can't get too a vet from where I live and other reasons that I won't disclose in public. But I have booked an appointment for the morning by phone and email.

20210716_145756.jpg

20210716_145745.jpg

20210714_145153.jpg

20210714_145148.jpg

20210714_145145.jpg

Last edited:
That could be ocular Mareks, but time will tell. The left eye looks more pale in the colored iris, while the pupil appears small. The pupils usually are slightly irregular or fuzzy in shape. This image and article are good for facts on Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
Looking through she shows on symptom's symptoms it's the eye that is scaring me. Her comb has improved in colour, it's less pale on the one side than it was.

I'm completely lost at the moment trying to work this out. I don't want to jump too fast and euthanized her. She is eating really well and today seems content. Nothing wrong with her walking. I have powdered vitamin c and could do with the vitamin b. I will have too wait to speak to this vet.

I will take her in tonight and keep her as calm as possible. But she will be really upset because she really loves her family.

If this is Marek's, the rest of the flock have already been exposed. Quarantining this hen will accomplish nothing. Leave her where she is.

Chickens often live out normal lives even though they carry Marek's. It's a matter of flock management, maximizing good health so they can resist the virus and its damaging effects. No need to panic or rush to drastic measures.

I have a similar avian virus in my flock, and this is how I deal with it. Most of my chickens are healthy and are able to resist the disease's symptoms. Occasionally I need to deal with full blown symptoms, and it's usually a tragic outcome, but these episodes happen rarely. Most of the time, I don't even think about the deadly virus they carry beyond containing it with bio-security practices.

I do think ocular marek’s is a possibility after seeing both eyes, but I agree she can live with this. Separating her would cause stress, which she doesn’t need. I would just keep the stress down as much as possible. Please don’t put her down right now. 😊

Are the urates (normally white part) of the poop bright yellow? That could indicate a kidney issue, but not necessarily. I see yellowish urates occasionally in my flock, and it usually resolves, but I offer Lily of the Desert Aloe Detox (more for liver support) in a mash when I see it. I believe dandelion is supposed to be good for kidney support, but I’m not sure what form is best. I’m not saying she needs kidney support, but it probably wouldn’t hurt.

Can you cup your hand around her butt fluff snd see if she feels swollen? If you can’t tell, compare her to someone else around the same size.

I do think ocular marek’s is a possibility after seeing both eyes, but I agree she can live with this. Separating her would cause stress, which she doesn’t need. I would just keep the stress down as much as possible. Please don’t put her down right now. 😊

Are the urates (normally white part) of the poop bright yellow? That could indicate a kidney issue, but not necessarily. I see yellowish urates occasionally in my flock, and it usually resolves, but I offer Lily of the Desert Aloe Detox (more for liver support) in a mash when I see it. I believe dandelion is supposed to be good for kidney support, but I’m not sure what form is best. I’m not saying she needs kidney support, but it probably wouldn’t hurt.

Can you cup your hand around her butt fluff snd see if she feels swollen? If you can’t tell, compare her to someone else around the same size.
Yes only the urine part and less that that as a rule it was much worse . I thought it was a water infection. We are all together out the in the garden now. With food vitamin c added and apple cider vinegar water. I need to chill with my girls :)

Last edited:
She was washed incase of and bugs then wouldn't eat but later as they all went into the coop (the run part with the perches) she dived into the layers and mash laced with vitamin C.

She fell asleep on my lap for a while, when we were in the garden. I thought that was a good sign.

I'm leaving the trio to sleep in the run if that is where they want to be.

Thank you all for your help :)

20210716_194316.jpg

20210716_194325.jpg

Back
Top Bottom