Chicken not walking properly

Silvija

Songster
6 Years
Nov 6, 2017
Hello,
I'm new to chickens and maybe this is normal, but I want to make sure. This morning we fond our bantam cochin hen not walking properly. To me and my husband she looks as if she is going broody with a strong wish to stay in that "chicken on the eggs" position. Yet there are no eggs and she was not even in the nest. I put her in the nest in the morning with hope that she just want to lay an egg (she and her sister spend some time in the nest for that, longer than others). This evening I was closing coops for the night and found her out of the nest again and still "broody". I checked if maybe she's egg bound but found nothing. I palpated her belly and it seems that there is an egg on the way but far from cloaca. After putting her on the perch she still was sitting like a broody hen. Her legs did not seem paralized and she was holding herself on the perch just in that broody hen position. Otherwise she seems well, her crop is full but not overfilled, put some fight while I was examining her. I'm feeding my chickens wheat grain, some corn, food for egg layers, calcium plus protein premix and some leftowers. Some vegies too but it's winter so a bit too expencive to give much. Other chickens seem fine and I had no other problams as long as I have chickens which is about three month. They all go outside in a closed run. Could she jus having a strong wish to go broody even if it's winter? It's cold and dark were I am but I keep light for 13 h in the coops. Started to cut it down but doing it slowly, half an hour every 2 weeks or even slower is my plan.

She could have an injury, a vitamin deficiency, egg bound, or be getting sick. The diet could be a possible problem, since they need layer for flock raiser feed as 90% of their diet. Feeding wheat and corn, and other things may not have the right protein or vitamin/mineral requirements as in a balanced chicken feed.

How old is she, and has she laid an egg recently? Have you inserted a finger an inch or two into her vent to check for a stuck egg? Since her crop is full, I would recheck it first thing in the morning before she eats. The mass you felt might possibly be something in the gizzard, or a lash egg, or just a regular egg.

Much of chicken care is guess work, and ruling out different problems. Can you set her down and watch her walk to see if she may be walking on her hocks or having some difficulty? Pictures can sometimes help as well.

She's less than a year old, woman we got her from did not know exact age. Hard to say when she laid her last egg, there are few more laying hens, few of tham cochins, and she lays not more than an egg a week I would say, maybe less. I did not insert finger into the vent, will do that. They do get balanced chicken feed every day but only in the mornings (everything else is in the feeder all time), maybe not enough. It's a night time here, I'll see how she walks in the morning and thank's for the answer.

Her vent is empty, just checked it. Wings more outward on her sides, like she's ready to lay an egg and sitting in the nest (were I left her). Would not call it limp and she's not weak. It's night time here so she is naturaly easyer to manage. She holds her legs close to her body though and do not seem to want to strech them. Like she wants to sit and is all puffed out.

Her vent is empty, just checked it. Wings more outward on her sides, like she's ready to lay an egg and sitting in the nest (were I left her). Would not call it limp and she's not weak. It's night time here so she is naturaly easyer to manage. She holds her legs close to her body though and do not seem to want to strech them. Like she wants to sit and is all puffed out.
I've had hens go partially broody. They act the part, but they don't quite commit enough to actually sit. That could be what your hen is doing, but I would definitely keep checking for possible illnesses though.

I would keep an eye on her. Bring her out to watch her walk around. She might be in pain, so she prefers to sit. It's a holiday weekend, but if possible when a vet is open, try taking in a sample of her droppings to get a fecal float done for worms or coccidiosis. Sometimes people just will go ahead and treat for those possibilities if fecals by a vet are not possible.
Place her close to food and water. A dog crate inside the coop is good for that. Offer some bits of chopped egg, tuna, or liver if she won't eat eat her ffed.

Thank you for the ideas! Vet is not possible so I will keep an eye on her and hope for partially broody. I have a room in the house we do not use, maybe will keep her there if she is no better tomorrow. She was sort of hiding when we found her, squezed beatween dust bath and wall, maybe she is in pain...

Welcome to BYC! Can you post a video of her walking? To post a video you need to upload it to Vimeo or Youtube then copy and paste the link here.

It's near midnight now so not today and I'm out for Christmas eve till dark tomorow so I will post it if she's no better after that. Got the youtube part :)

Back
Top Bottom