Chicken on antibiotics - support for her

Jemarlar

Hatching
Apr 18, 2023
Hello,
We have a chicken that had a huge lesion in her mouth and she was put on antibiotics while it’s been healing. It’s been 8 weeks straight on 2 antibiotics and she just got put on another one. Since this last one, she has been losing weight, has diarrhea and is a little lethargic. She’s eating some but we think the antibiotics are taking it out of her and the vet doesn’t have any advice.
The lesion which was about 2 inches long is now about 1/4” long. We’re afraid that she’s going to die from the side effects of the antibiotics before we can get her finally healed. Any ways we can offer support that actually works? She gets some yoghurt but isn’t a fan.

I would force feed her a bit of yogurt and mix apple cider vinegar into her water. You can also buy other probiotics made for chickens to mix into water as well. I use this one. link

Go get her some poultry probiotics. I personally recommend the bend-bac paste that comes in a tube (you can order it from many places online including chewy.com). Antibiotics kill off both the good and bad bacteria which absolutely wrecks the delicate balance of digestive system. Always give quality probiotics when giving antibiotics to help counteract the good bacteria losses and continue the probiotics for a while even after you stop the antibiotics. Any time a doctor has prescribed antibiotics for me or my children the first thing they have said is to go out and get quality probiotics.

Edit: this is what I use (they also have a powder form): https://www.chewy.com/petag-bene-bac-plus-gel-digestive/dp/135924

Go get her some poultry probiotics. I personally recommend the bend-bac paste that comes in a tube (you can order it from many places online including chewy.com). Antibiotics kill off both the good and bad bacteria which absolutely wrecks the delicate balance of digestive system. Always give quality probiotics when giving antibiotics to help counteract the good bacteria losses and continue the probiotics for a while even after you stop the antibiotics. Any time a doctor has prescribed antibiotics for me or my children the first thing they have said is to go out and get quality probiotics.

Edit: this is what I use (they also have a powder form): https://www.chewy.com/petag-bene-bac-plus-gel-digestive/dp/135924
How do you dose it? It sounds like it’s for mammals not birds?

Back
Top Bottom