???Chicken or quail???

image.jpeg
I did quails. Hatched them with incubator and have been taking care of them since April. I've learned so much. Winter will be a true test. In a few years I will get chickens but for now it's quails.

If you’re really not sure about it all and just want to give it a go I think quail are a better starter. You’ll spend less money on the cage and birds to start, they’ll take up less room, and you won’t have to wait as long for eggs.

Quail can be tamed pretty easily if you’re looking for pets to hold. I don’t even try to tame mine but most will come right up to me to check me out. And you can always use mealworms to get them real close.

We had the exact same question & went with Coturnix quail. I'm no expert but here's our reasoning:
From what we read, quail have shorter life spans (1-2 years) so it seemed less intimidating/ less of a time commitment.
Quail start laying eggs sooner & the boys are full grown in 8 weeks so we could also have meat sooner. (No joke, they doubled in size way faster than we expected).
Because they're smaller in size, we were able to buy a smaller coop & run, so those were cheaper than the huge ones I want for the chickens.
All the chicken breeds I want are currently sold out so we have to wait until Spring before we even get the chance to get them.
As far as temperament of the quail, ours are super sweet, loving, curious, & silly. We got them as day old chicks & made it a point to check on them at least 4 times a day, talk baby talk to them, pick them up, & just stand there with our hand in the brooder. Now they are 5 weeks old & outside in their run/coop. When we go into their run, they come running up to us, climb on us, & eat out of our hands. We have become super attached to the little guys so now I'm not sure I'll be able to cull the boys for dinner. But I suspect the same will happen with chickens. I really hope most are girls!

Whichever one you go with, just remember that the first time is going to be a learning experience no matter what (just like raising a human kid). Wry neck was a terrible experience, read up on that just in case. Also, have a "sick bay" or miniature brooder ready, just in case a few need separating. Hubby & I remind each other that this is our learning flock. Mistakes happen, you're human & can't foresee every little thing, & as always in life - poop happens. Out of the 52 we got, 45 are still with us. I hope that helped a wee bit. Good luck!!

I have both. Quail take up less room. What do you want them for? Some of my chickens are a bit friendlier, but you start getting eggs from quail in 8 weeks. I have jumbo brown caturnix and I found 8 week old hens for 5 dollars each. Hatching eggs is not as easy as getting already hatched out birds, but if you want to hatch, then you will get a better hatch rate from eggs that have not been shipped. If you can find them locally, then that may give you a better hatch rate.

Like others have commented, the reasons you are getting them are important. Your specific situation is also important. For instance, chickens can free range but quail can't. If you're into selling eggs the market may prefer one or another. Chickens are less economical since they mature slower and are less consistent layers. Chickens have more individual personalities, but if one dies it can be more traumatic (in my experience). Chickens establish a pecking order but usually don't kill each other; quail can become brutal to each other and can be triggered by who knows what. Your area may not allow chicken roosters, and so quail are more sustainable.

Back
Top Bottom