Chicken Panic attack?

Quepea

Hatching
Feb 9, 2021
Hi all,
I just wanted some advice on what i think might be a little panic attack or something.

So i have a white capped black polish pullet that loves to perch on my shoulder. Today it just suddenly jumped off and flapped/flied around and was making alot of noise in panic but then settled down after about 30 seconds.

I didn't think too much of it until she did the same thing again (this time she was just walking on the ground).
I also noticed that the older chicken (Separated) did something similar where it jumped in panic/shock

Not sure what is causing it or what i should do and was hoping someone could advice me.

Thanks in advance!

Where were they at this time: free ranging, in a secure run, etc?
Did any bird fly over at the time?
Was it windy and caused something to move that they were use to?
My first thought was something spooked her.

The older chicken was in its enclosure (Coop + some room to run around)
The newer/younger one was sitting on my head.
For the first incident, I didn't see or hear any birds fly past, Could of been the wind but there have been windier conditions and it didn't seem to freak out.

I'm probably overthinking things but also a little conserned for the little one since she's pretty much alone most the time :(

Chickens are one of the most predated species on the planet and they have years and years of instinct behind them... they are spooked by everything. They are always on high alert; I have a leghorn that loves to be cuddled but even when she’s in my arms she’ll freak out and want to be put down so she can run to safety under the coop if the rooster indicates there is potential danger. It’s natural for chickens to be flighty... as long as it didn’t look like a seizure / uncontrollable wing flapping followed by paralysis I wouldn’t worry.

It kinda looked like uncontrolled wing flapping then it just sat down for a little (for the first one)
not 100% sure, Ill keep an eye on her and see what happens

Back
Top Bottom