Chicken Party At Night!

OK. I can see the point. I got both my coops inside the chicken run. The run itself is regular chicken wire, but both their coops are shut up tightly and the screening is also hardware cloth. We also have the bang bang kind of security and 3 very noisy dogs. So hopefully, that will help. We do hear coyotes at night sometimes, but none have ever come THAT close. I hope it STAYS that way.:D

I'm pretty sure that sounds of different kinds are not too upsetting for chickens. My first flock was when I lived in town on a corner lot with lots of traffic.

On my country property the chickens have been unfazed by military helicopters overhead, the lawnmower, parties we've held, the crew that set the house in place, DH's power tools, and even a commercial-grade wood chipper that the tree service had operating about 5 feet from their fence when we had tree work done.

If they don't mind me singing Sabaton and Nightwish at the top of my voice while mowing or weed whacking around their fence I doubt they'd be disturbed by your soft, inspirational music. :)

I use those cheap solar lights that you stick in the ground to mark off the fence corners and other trip hazards. They're dim and aimed at the ground.

I also have a good headlamp for use in the coop after dark when doing off-the roost checks, etc. :)
THANKS. WE'RE BUDDIES INDEED! Same here with the solar lights and flashlight.:)

I recently read a post about someone saying that they liked to play a certain type of music for their chickens, and the chickens loved it. They said that the chickens would just lay around while it played. I'll see if I can find it for you.

OK. I can see the point. I got both my coops inside the chicken run. The run itself is regular chicken wire, but both their coops are shut up tightly and the screening is also hardware cloth. We also have the bang bang kind of security and 3 very noisy dogs. So hopefully, that will help. We do hear coyotes at night sometimes, but none have ever come THAT close. I hope it STAYS that way.:D
We live on a property with something we all call the coyote highway! It’s a seasonal creek bed, also known as a wash in the desert, that the coyotes pretty much use as a thoroughfare. They are on our property pretty much every night and are this close to the chicken run. They have also checked them out during the daytime but couldn’t get in and haven’t tried again. We just coexist with them since we live in the more rural high desert, they’re really good at controlling the rodent population, I just keep my chickens in a Fort Knox coop and run.

I don't know enough about chickens yet to know what I'm not supposed to do. Ignorance DOES have its rewards....I think. LOL! I have strung lights all over my chicken run, and have large lights for both coops inside. The chickens seem to like it, of course, what are they going to do? Form another committee? Like the older chickens did, when I opened the last quarter of the run, getting rid of the fire wood, so that my baby Sex Links would have a greater area to run? Well, they haven't done it yet. They also haven't complained about the music. That's right. I keep the radio on soft, inspirational music, so that the coyotes (I've heard that they prefer Rap!) don't get interested. One of these days, if it ever stops raining, I'm going to find another place for the wood...
My son and I are doing something similar with about 20 juvenile chickens. The light (full spectrum) brings in insects the chickens consume. It can extend the duration of crop fill on nights when insects are flying heavily. At this point I'm prepared to judge for negative effects since we are already giving the birds in excess of what they can eat on complete feeds.

I recently read a post about someone saying that they liked to play a certain type of music for their chickens, and the chickens loved it. They said that the chickens would just lay around while it played. I'll see if I can find it for you.
Thank you very much. I'd appreciate that! :D

I'm not relying on the lights and music to protect my chickens, but to help entertain them.

Back
Top Bottom