Chicken pecked at comb

Agathe

Songster
Jun 1, 2021
I seem to have a few problems with my flock lately. Today I found my favourite hen bloody at her comb. It doesn't seem like the wound is very deep, but because of the blood, I put her in a wire cage by herself inside the coop for the time being. I also of course cleaned up the wound. I've never had this happen before so I'm not sure if I'm handling this the right way. I've seen the other hens peck at her sometimes, but never to cause any bleeding or loss of feathers and for the most part they've seemed to get along. This hen has always been a bit of a loner, but she's so gentle and sweet that I don't want to lose her. What else can I do for her and is it okay that I put her in a cage inside the coop? The idea was to prevent any further pecking while it heals without taking her out of the flock and risk worsening the situation. Am I on the right track? What can I do more for her and can I do anything to avoid this happening again? If it becomes a problem, should I butcher her or try to figure out who is causing it? I don't want to lose any of them. I do have a spare coop but it is very small (one of those you buy readily made). I guess I could put the bullied rooster and bullied hen together in that one, but I'm not sure if a bad life is better than no life.

I've been letting them free range lately as I thought it might help the situation with the fighting roosters that I had, and it somewhat does. We also had our first snow. I'm not sue if these changes could have had anything to do with it and if maybe I should just keep them in the run where they are familiar.

Last edited:
I seem to have a few problems with my flock lately. Today I found my favourite hen bloody at her comb. It doesn't seem like the wound is very deep, but because of the blood, I put her in a wire cage by herself inside the coop for the time being. I also of course cleaned up the wound. I've never had this happen before so I'm not sure if I'm handling this the right way. I've seen the other hens peck at her sometimes, but never to cause any bleeding or loss of feathers and for the most part they've seemed to get along. This hen has always been a bit of a loner, but she's so gentle and sweet that I don't want to lose her. What else can I do for her and is it okay that I put her in a cage inside the coop? The idea was to prevent any further pecking while it heals without taking her out of the flock and risk worsening the situation. Am I on the right track? What can I do more for her and can I do anything to avoid this happening again? If it becomes a problem, should I butcher her or try to figure out who is causing it? I don't want to lose any of them. I do have a spare coop but it is very small (one of those you buy readily made). I guess I could put the bullied rooster and bullied hen together in that one, but I'm not sure if a bad life is better than no life.

I've been letting them free range lately as I thought it might help the situation with the fighting roosters that I had, and it somewhat does. We also had our first snow. I'm not sue if these changes could have had anything to do with it and if maybe I should just keep them in the run where they are familiar.
Wait, back up, your hen has a bloody comb right? Can I see a picture? Even if she has no comb she will be okay. Mine cut her comb open and it healed in 5 minutes. Combs bleed alot.

Wait, back up, your hen has a bloody comb right? Can I see a picture? Even if she has no comb she will be okay. Mine cut her comb open and it healed in 5 minutes. Combs bleed alot.
Ok, so she'll be okay? Is there not a risk that the other hens will continue to peck her, especially if I leave her with them with a healing wound? I'll try to get a photo later, but there seems to be a cut on the base of the comb. I've never seen any of my roosters with blood on their combs, it has always turned to a black scab before me finding them, so this might be more severe or just more recent.

Ok, so she'll be okay? Is there not a risk that the other hens will continue to peck her, especially if I leave her with them with a healing wound? I'll try to get a photo later, but there seems to be a cut on the base of the comb. I've never seen any of my roosters with blood on their combs, it has always turned to a black scab before me finding them, so this might be more severe or just more recent.
Mine cut her comb at the base too. Wait until it stops bleeding, separating her was a good idea, combs bleed a lot, and chickens peck at everything. She should be good in a lititle bit. She will 100% be okay. Comb injuries are so common.

Mine cut her comb at the base too. Wait until it stops bleeding, separating her was a good idea, combs bleed a lot, and chickens peck at everything. She should be good in a lititle bit. She will 100% be okay. Comb injuries are so common.
Thanks so much! I might be overreacting a little as we've had some trouble with our two roosters and we're really down to our favourites and don't want to butcher any more of them. My son thinks of all of them as his friends, so it's always tough when we have to let one go. :)

Thanks so much! I might be overreacting a little as we've had some trouble with our two roosters and we're really down to our favourites and don't want to butcher any more of them. My son thinks of all of them as his friends, so it's always tough when we have to let one go. :)
It’s ok. Better safe then sorry!

Photo?

Combs can bleed a lot from a small cut or peck. Generally I just wipe of the blood and observe to see if the others peck at it.

You mention 2 roosters....how old and how much space do you have?
They are a year in May. They are brothers and grown up together. The coop isn't all that big, but there are levels and roosts as well as several nesting boxes. They've been cramped together for a few days because of bad weather and it is possible that there just isn't enough space for two roosters during winter. There has been no issue in summer. The run is a good size but as mentioned above I've also started to let them free range during the day, so outdoor space is not an issue at all. I wanted to see if this could help them get along otherwise I'll have to take out another one. They haven't fought since but one of the roosters stays in the coop most of the day out of fear from the other.

They are a year in May.

They've been cramped together for a few days because of bad weather and it is possible that there just isn't enough space for two roosters during winter. There has been no issue in summer.

They haven't fought since but one of the roosters stays in the coop most of the day out of fear from the other.
6 month old cockerels, starting to come into a bit of maturity.
Some may get along, some don't. Doesn't matter if they are related, 1 is always going to be wanting to rule.

Imho, If you have one that is hiding now, then things will likely escalate or you are going to end up with a sick cockerel. Hiding/fearful of the other, he's not eating/drinking well, is stressed.
Pen him separate in his own coop/run/pen with his own food/water or consider his quality of life and re-home him.

Just my 2¢

Back
Top Bottom