Chicken pecked to death...why?!

thegreatpiscato

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 21, 2013
Hi everyone,

First I want to thank you all for your kind assistance and words of encouragement. (Remember, I'm a chicken "newbie," with absolutely zero experience!) At any rate, the remaining 18 chickens are now outside, in a pen that is 24' x 4'. I say "remaining," because right before I had the posts dug and the roof built for my coop, they started picking on just one bird, to the point where its back was devoid of feathers and bleeding. I immediately put that bird in isolation for about a week, until its back had healed, and I could see new feathers starting to emerge. By this time, I had the majority of my coop built, so I re-introduced that bird to the remaining flock, which were now outside. I even stood there for a few minutes, just to make certain that they weren't going to pick on him anymore. All was well when I fed them around 7:00 p.m., but when I went out there the next morning, the bird in question was laying on its side, dead, and had been pecked so badly that there were no feathers nor skin left on the portion of its body that wasn't facing the ground! I provide them with unlimited food and water, and they have more than five square feet per bird. So my question is, what would prompt them to peck to death one of their own brothers or sisters?

They may have sensed it was weak and a threat to the vitality of the flock.
It was also a new bird having been out of the flock for a while.
Would have been better to put some of the birds with it in different quarters and reintroduce a group rather than a single bird.
Single birds added to a flock of 18 usually doesn't work well.

So sorry for your loss, that has to be hard to wake up to.
hugs.gif

if it was week or sick they would do that. or if it had any wounds, possibly just different. They definately have pecking orders, and it's not good to be lowest there.

and Re-introducing a bird, or adding a new one can definately be tricky. We try not to completely separate them, just put them in a smaller "Healing" area so they are not totally separated and can see each other, just not be able to fight. (unless we think it would be contageous of course) Birds have no sympathy for the sick or injured, and a week flockmate can attract preditors, so they may kill (and sometimes eat) a weak or sick bird. they rarely show signs of illness until they are almost dead, or they will be kicked out of the flock or killed.

Again, so sorry

RobertH

Back
Top Bottom