Chicken pecking :(

Sorry...

one mor questions , not to do with pecking, was thinking of making a box with chicken wire over it and grass growing up through it so they could only eat so much ect or another grain.. would this chicken wire hurt their feet?

It shouldn't be too much of an issue, mainly because they won't be spending the majority of the time standing on it.

So! I have recently got 4 ex-battery hens. They are making ok progress with regrowing feathers, however, one poor chick is being pecked on the back, her tails and her wings. Many feathers and new growing feathers have been pecked off. When I see the other hens pecking her it doesn’t seem particularly malicious.... The run is large and spacious with a 30m perimeter. The coop isn’t massive but I never see the hens pecking each other in there. There is ample food and drink, I bring them treats and give them mixed grit with oyster shells for calcium ect. Can anyone suggest ways to stop or prevent pecking and help them regrow feathers?! Thanks so much :D

ALSO: Do you think I should separate the chook off from the others? Or is that a bit too much?
i thought i had that problem but it was my rooster pecking my hens just to mate but i used to be pretty concern about it and i tried to “break it up” but after doing some research about it i completely understand what he was doing

I am also occasionaly giving them scrambled eggs which is supposed to help with protein.
People like the idea of this, but eggs are only about 12-13% protein. So if you mix them with 16% chicken feed, you actually lower their protein.

They are very nutritious, and good for them, but when you specifically need to raise their protein level, eggs are not the answer.

Sounds like you have some good plans that ought to work.

People like the idea of this, but eggs are only about 12-13% protein. So if you mix them with 16% chicken feed, you actually lower their protein.

They are very nutritious, and good for them, but when you specifically need to raise their protein level, eggs are not the answer.

Sounds like you have some good plans that ought to work.
Only give them an egg or week or so. I have fitted the bully hen with pinless peepers and haven't witnessed bullying since

Back
Top Bottom