Chicken pickin’

HuevosModesto

Chirping
Aug 21, 2018
We purchased 6 chickens several weeks ago, only to discover that we had a a cockerel in the midst. I took him back to the feed store (where we acquired him), and after reading about abuse of new flock members, I brought home two new hens to replace him. Well, the original flock is beating up the new recruits to the point where they rarely leave the coop (Eglu Cube tractor with run). How long (on average) until the new hens are no longer being beat up? Thanks in advance!

Can you put the newbies in a see but don’t touch kennel for a couple days so the the other girls can get used to their presence without hurting them? Once you reintegrate them, it’s important to have plenty of room and hiding places where no one gets trapped
or cornered. A good way to integrate is to free range, supervised, where there is plenty my of room.

I understand that the quarters are on the small side, but they are given run of the yard from 5pm until they return to the coop to roost. We bought extra run space from Eglu as well, so they do have more than the standard Eglu setup. Assuming that the space isn’t the whole problem, what is the average time new birds take to integrate?

Can you put the newbies in a see but don’t touch kennel for a couple days so the the other girls can get used to their presence without hurting them? Once you reintegrate them, it’s important to have plenty of room and hiding places where no one gets trapped
or cornered. A good way to integrate is to free range, supervised, where there is plenty my of room.

I don’t currently have another cage/coop, just the one. I did allow the nee birds to free range while the original flock was in the run (for 1 full day). Might more of that smooth the transition?

1 day is not enough for integration in most cases, especially with birds past chickhood. It can take a few weeks at least, if not longer. And integration takes space, which it sounds like you're low on. Ideally you want enough room to be able to add obstacles for chickens to hide behind as well as additional feeders and waterers.

Can you let them use the yard all day instead of just late afternoon, to give them more space? Or build a 2nd enclosure, doesn't have to be anything fancy or permanent, so they can see each other but not get to each other.

1 day is not enough for integration in most cases, especially with birds past chickhood. It can take a few weeks at least, if not longer. And integration takes space, which it sounds like you're low on. Ideally you want enough room to be able to add obstacles for chickens to hide behind as well as additional feeders and waterers.

Can you let them use the yard all day instead of just late afternoon, to give them more space? Or build a 2nd enclosure, doesn't have to be anything fancy or permanent, so they can see each other but not get to each other.
Thank you, I’ll try those suggestions.

05F3447C-264C-4D1F-B337-C35249243849.jpeg 4285B0C1-4470-4F3E-88C8-53F08534697D.jpeg I have An Eglu Cube with a 3 meter run. I have 6 hens. I new before I even started the 3 meter run was not adequate for 6 hens and I had in my mind to build a pen extension. Knowing this in advance I also realized I will be covering the run for the winter (proper ventilation of course) I will attach a picture.
Back to your question of my 6 birds I replaced one rooster and then 3 weeks later had to replace 2 more late blooming roosters. And yes both times the new birds were picked on. I did the change out on my 3 day weekends. I spent many hours policing the flock and found the best tool to be a garden hose. Each time my older aggressive birds seeked out the younger I turned the hose on the older birds. It was very successful in redirecting the aggressive behaviour. Some what like avoidance training. A wet chicken MIGHT think gee every time I pick a fight I get wet.......... maybe I should stop picking fights. Well we still have our pecking order but we have no blood shed the higher girls eat first and harmony exists. I first did this for the new single and later for the 2 newbies. It worked both times.

Here's some tips on.....

Integration Basics:

It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.

Thank you all for the great insight and advice- follow up question: If my birds are allowed the run of the yard during the day, will they lay eggs all over the yard, or return to the coop to lay? If the yard, what can be done to stop/prevent this?

Back
Top Bottom