Chicken pictures and playing with ice cubes

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Anny, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    Yesterday it was very hot here, 95 degrees and humid. I put a few ice cubes in the chicken waterer, and I few along the "lip" of the waterer.

My lil hen Dorothy love the ice cubes she was pushing them around the waterer, like a little ice cube train. It was very cute.

what are other good ways to keep the chickens cool when it's hot and humid out?

[​IMG]

I also gave them (what was left) from my water melon, mostly the skin with a little big of fruit left on it, they ate it so fast I couldn't even get any pictures of them eating it.

[​IMG]

Libby says, it's too hott!
    [​IMG]

2. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    How cute. Mine love ice cubes too. Cold watermelon is great for them when it is really hot and humid like that. I just kept one in the frig when we had 100 degree days. I would cut it in half and give them half one day and half the next.

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have a fan set on a timer that starts up in the morning and turns off in the evening. On really hot days, I put ice in their water and also put frozen water bottles or those hard ice pack things that you put in coolers onto the floor of the coop. They like to stand on them or lean against them to keep cool. I can't wait until these hot days are over!

4. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I didn't even think about putting frozen bottles of water in there, I used to do that for my pet rats and rabbits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by