Chicken Poop Concerns

Oct 22, 2020
My wife and I just got our first chickens! She has her 6 silkies and I have my 4 golden comets. They’re all 3-4 months old. They’re currently in separate coops but able to see each other as we’re trying to socialize/integrate them. When my wife let her silkies out to free range yesterday, we noticed that their poop was pretty soft and watery, but not exactly diarrhea, it was lighter brown and not a lot of white spots (urate?). They’re on Purina chicken feed but she’s been giving them treats like tomato, watermelon and banana as well. The comets are all doing well, good poop, good appetites, and warming up to me quickly. The silkies are super friendly and social but we’re just concerned about their health (poops).

Wyorp Rock

Blessed
Premium Feather Member
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains
My wife and I just got our first chickens! She has her 6 silkies and I have my 4 golden comets. They’re all 3-4 months old. They’re currently in separate coops but able to see each other as we’re trying to socialize/integrate them. When my wife let her silkies out to free range yesterday, we noticed that their poop was pretty soft and watery, but not exactly diarrhea, it was lighter brown and not a lot of white spots (urate?). They’re on Purina chicken feed but she’s been giving them treats like tomato, watermelon and banana as well. The comets are all doing well, good poop, good appetites, and warming up to me quickly. The silkies are super friendly and social but we’re just concerned about their health (poops).
Welcome To BYC!
Can you get some photos of the poop?

Are the Golden Comets getting those treats too? Watery treats like you mention will affect the texture and color or the poop.
Chickens have 2 types of poop as well. One is "normal" that's the firm poop with a white cap, the other is "Cecal" which is a loose pudding like sticky stinky poop. Both poops can vary in color and consistency depending on diet and intake of water.

Top Bottom