Chicken poop/medications

AmberIsnewtoChickens

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2022
Hello! This is my first time with baby chicks. I bought 4 from my local Tractor Supply a week and a half ago. I have been doing non stop research and found some interesting things about their wastes. Although I got all my chickens at the same time, my 2 black ones seem to be growing a lot slower than my 2 tan ones. I also looked at wings and think the black ones are males but they are growing so much slower and are way less fluffy and feathery as my tan ones. My biggest concern (along with their growth rate) is their poops. Sometimes they have frothy poops. I’m not sure if I should treat them for worms (they’re only a week and a half) or wait it out. They eat and drink as much as the others but they’re smaller. Also, they run way more than the tan ones too, which makes me think they’re males even more, but why would they grow so much slower? And have way less feathers? We have them inside, just like we did with our ducks, clean their bedding daily along with their water and food.

Attachments

• 16F2368C-5D2C-4072-8E23-62DBD1F77651.jpeg
    16F2368C-5D2C-4072-8E23-62DBD1F77651.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 2
Welcome to BYC! I don’t think there is any reason for concern especially if they acting and functioning normally. Different breeds and individual birds grow at different rates. Also from what I’ve read the wing sexing is only somewhat accurate on day old chicks and really depends on the breed of chicken, maybe that’s not the case I’m not sure. There is a really extensive study someone on here did about methods of sexing, it’s a good read if you search for it. Did you get them in a pullet or straight run bin?

Welcome to BYC! I don’t think there is any reason for concern especially if they acting and functioning normally. Different breeds and individual birds grow at different rates. Also from what I’ve read the wing sexing is only somewhat accurate on day old chicks and really depends on the breed of chicken, maybe that’s not the case I’m not sure. There is a really extensive study someone on here did about methods of sexing, it’s a good read if you search for it. Did you get them in a pullet or straight run bin?
Thank you so much for replying! :) I know sexing them this early is not accurate, but it’s fun to guess for sure! Haha. And I did get them from a straight run bin. I didn’t think to look at their breeds as I thought “straight run” WAS their breed. Haha. I’ve learned so much lately it’s honestly draining! Haha!

I understand! There’s a lot to take in. I’m sure someone will let you know what they are, it will be easier to tell when they’re fully feathered. I just noticed your second picture and they look totally normal. Don’t overthink it and enjoy 🙂
I am an over thinker for sure!! That will be a fun day when we can see what breed they are, they’re all so pretty. Thanks again so much for replying and setting my mind at ease a bit. :)

Back
Top Bottom