Chicken Poop Thread(Post Pictures, Ask Questions, and Familiarize Yourself with What Poop Can Tell Y

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sumatra503, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Knowing the different types of poop and checking your own chickens' poop is all part of good flock management. Poop can tell you a lot about your flock's health and it is important to know what healthy poop looks like and what the different kinds of unhealthy poop look like and what they are caused by.

So, let's all talk chicken poop! I want to see some pictures on hear too!

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Oh goodie! My favorite topic. Poop.

Okay. I got a question. What does runny poop signify? My flock all seem incredibly healthy except they have poop that tend to puddle rather than stand at attention.

Also, I have one seven month old SS pullet who has had, not just runny poop, but watery poop since day one. She also seems incredibly healthy otherwise.

Nope. No sign of worms. I swear. I look.

3. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    Can you get a picture? It really helps to see.

What are you feeding, including treats, and how much of it? What has the weather been like?

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's probably all the fresh veggies they get. I grow squash and carrots in summer and store them to feed the chickens and myself all winter. I do notice they have runniest poop right after eating veggies, and squash is the runniest poop.

I'm very curious about my SS pullet with the watery poop, though. When I first got her, I thought she might be sick, or the heat lamp was too hot, and she was drinking too much water. She has rarely had anything other than very watery poop to this day. I'll be in the run, and hear a mighty "SPLORT", and it will be Geobett . Not much to see. It's like a water spill on the sand. It may be dotted with bits of solid waste. But she has the cleanest butt of all the chickens since she has a very powerful delivery.

It doesn't matter what the weather is like. Their poop is the same year round.

5. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
  6. 6inarow

6inarow New Egg

May 8, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    This poop link is so helpful! I am new at raising chicks and noticed one of mine with watery poo. She seems just as healthy as the others.

Thanks for this forum. I am learn much from you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by