Chicken poopy butt

Sorry it took a bit she disappeared yesterday after so i had to wait until today. I was cleaning her butt and I noticed now there was something sticking out of it and I think she actually did have a stuck egg and it busted. Will she be ok?

I took what was sticking out out of her and that's why I think it might be a crushed egg.

This is what I pulled out. View attachment 1584086

I guess it's possible but there are bits of Shel in it. So she was looking like she wasn't feeling good a few days ago but it's getting colder here and the only thing she was doing was looking like she was cold so I ignored it. Then my mom said all 3 roosters ganged up on her for sex and then the next day(yesterday) she had the poopy butt and I posted about it. If she was acting off because of a stuck egg could the roosters going at her have crushed the egg? One rooster is probably over 20lb then the other 2 are more her size. ( She's a sexlink)
It looks like a Lash Egg, otherwise called Salpingitis. This is an infection/inflammation of the oviduct. Basically your girl has a reproductive disorder.
Can you take her to the vet or do you have access to antibiotics? It's good that she was able to pass that, but likely she has more in the oviduct. A lot of times there can be a buildup of lash material to the point where it blocks the oviduct and presses upon the internal organs. There is no "cure" for this, all you can hope to do is catch it early enough and treat with medication, but usually hen's will still succumb to the condition or they will begin to have other problems.
If you and your Mom can do some reading about this condition that would be good.
Here's some info to get you started:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

You mention you have 3 roosters that are harassing her. Can you separate her so she can rest, eat/drink in peace?
Tell us more about how you keep your chickens - are they in a coop and run or do you free range?
How many hens do you have?

It looks like a Lash Egg, otherwise called Salpingitis. This is an infection/inflammation of the oviduct. Basically your girl has a reproductive disorder.
Can you take her to the vet or do you have access to antibiotics? It's good that she was able to pass that, but likely she has more in the oviduct. A lot of times there can be a buildup of lash material to the point where it blocks the oviduct and presses upon the internal organs. There is no "cure" for this, all you can hope to do is catch it early enough and treat with medication, but usually hen's will still succumb to the condition or they will begin to have other problems.
If you and your Mom can do some reading about this condition that would be good.

You mention you have 3 roosters that are harassing her. Can you separate her so she can rest, eat/drink in peace?
Tell us more about how you keep your chickens - are they in a coop and run or do you free range?
I'm sure this is an absolutely ridiculous question, but is it possible to spay a bird?

I'm sure this is an absolutely ridiculous question, but is it possible to spay a bird?
Some people have had the oviduct and ovaries removed from their hens. It's very expensive and you take a great risk that they will die under anesthesia.
Suprelorin implants can also be given to stop ovulation, from what I understand this starts around $150.00+ and the implant would need to be repeated every 3-5months, so that is ongoing $$. There have been a few reported here that the implants were successful for a good while, sadly others have had hens die after a few months anyway.
https://poultrykeeper.com/reproductive-system-problems/suprelorin-implant-for-chickens/

I have 22 hens and 3 roosters. They free range around our yard withthe other birds. The yard is decently big since sometimes they'll even go into our woods and fields. She's separated now and that was the only time they picked on her. Since then her sister hen had been guarding her all the time. The roosters don't usually gang up on anyone and they're all pretty nice except the biggest one will chase my dog or kick me when I'm feeding him sometimes. It's a high possibility that my mom was exaggerating about them ganging up on her because she has done it before but in case she wasn't exaggerating I figured I'd mention it. Usually what the roosters do is one mates and then the other two run up and investigate what's happening and only sometimes one of the roosters watching will patiently wait until the one doing the deed is finished then hop on and take a turn then they all leave her alone.

You really should think about how you are managing your roosters.
Are you breeding them, are they pets - what is your goal for having that many roosters?
1 mature large fowl rooster can service that many hens.

You really should think about how you are managing your roosters.
Are you breeding them, are they pets - what is your goal for having that many roosters?
1 mature large fowl rooster can service that many hens.
They're pets and also very good at alerting me and my dogs of predators. The birds free range in a large area so it helps that one rooster is down in the front, and one in the back. I used to have other roosters but they died protecting the girls. My biggest rooster runs everything, he is a Cornish cross. Then I have an EE rooster who hangs out by himself mostly and a bantam cochin rooster who thinks he's big stuff and is always the first to run to a hen in need. He's cute but my Cornish Cross does most of the protecting. (I didn't mean to get a Cornish cross but I did and he's doing great. He's litterally my fastest chicken. I was afraid he might die but decided to be dedicated to feeding him right and treating any injuries he might get but I honestly think he's tougher than all my other birds.) They really don't over breed anyone though which makes me happy. They're very non discriminating when it comes to who they mate with and they make their rounds to the whole flock pretty equally. I never worry about them much at all. I worry more about my surplus of male muscovy and what I'm going to do with them. But if the roosters start to get violent with the hens then I decided I would eat them.....I've never killed anything but I eat meat and value my female birds more so. Oh I do have a young BLR rooster but he has his own hens and he's actually for breeding purposes. The EE might be for experimental breeding eventually because he's technically a "Blue Bell" it's a breed a local farm has been creating by crossing Ayam Cemanis with EEs. He's a beautiful bearded black rooster with a dark gray underbelly. I'm pretty curious what his kids would look like with some of my hens.

Back
Top Bottom