Chicken possibly with fowl corzya{UPDATE} both hen an rooster culled

Well you should treat all your chickens the same, just in case. First of all, check their muscle tone -- breast meat and thighs. Then you will want to follow some standard steps to helping her body recover and keeping her from getting sick again.

My guess is that she is not a really hefty bird so she is losing muscle and fat. Red blood cells build muscle and make way to store fat. Viruses -- and some worse than others -- deplete red blood cells. The longer a virus is contagious the more red blood cells it depletes until it reinfects over and over and kills the bird. So you need to continuously replace those depleted red cells. I use Red Cell for horses but you can only use EXACTLY ONE TABLESPOON per 5 gallons of water and no more. It contains Selenium. One Tablespoon is exactly enough. When you are mixing your 5 gallons of water add one dropper of Poly-Vi-Sol per gallon--that's 5 droppers. It's a baby vitamin by Enfamil. Do this for an entire week to 2 weeks every month. This helps the birds during the cold weather and assists their bodies in getting the most out of their food. It is also best to give them a higher protein non-medicated chick food while you are treating them.

I've done a good check on all mine. I keep my pairs seperated in different cages also so they are all seperated. My babies I have in 2 seperate runs by age. All other chickens are fine had a lil run in with cocidiosis in my younger babies due to about 40 month + old babies huddling next to the heat lamp and I kept there food and water close to keep them from havin to venture far due to the cold. we had some nights that got in the single digits, but thats taken care of. But everyone else is happy and healthy.

As for the hen she is in my garage in a bird cage. I've been givin her antibodic's in her water and at first when she had the bad respitory symptoms I brought her in every night and put a few drops of VetRx in her nose and down her throat and rubbed her head and legs down with it. Shes over those symoptoms now. So all I'm doin is the terrimycin ointment in her eye thats still watery and swelled. She also seems like she feels 100% better she's alot more active and vocal. Ive been doctoring her goin on 6 weeks now

Thats another thing she's not skinny she's healthy and plump and has a healthy appitite. There was only a few days that she didnt want to eat. I also did feed her medicated chick feed for awhile too.

It sounds like you are going to spend a lot of money but it really isn't a lot. You also need to help their little bodies rebuild their immunities. Because after they contract the Coryza, chances are this will NOT be what kills them in the longrun. The Coryza will drive their systems down and something like a parasite or some simple thing can hurt them enough to kill them because their defenses have been torn down by the Coryza. Therefore, you will need a tub of Probiotics from a place like Tractor Supply. I buy the kind for Goats. It is an Acidophilus-type supplement. Once you start doing this all of your birds will act differently and start running around like crazy lil chickeez. It makes them feel great.

I do one last thing for them. I give them a heaping tablespoon of Diatomaceous Earth (food grade) in their food 3 days in a row only one week out of each month. That gives them badly-needed minerals.

Believe me, Tylan does not work NEARLY as well as this regimine. I tried EVERY ANTIBIOTIC known to man for viruses. There is NOTHING like this regimin for healing a bird and stopping something like this.

I can't guarantee your bird will not be a carrier but I can guarantee that your best hope is to follow what I just showed you exactly--you will have the best of luck with it and I DO feel very positive you will be happy with the results.

Excellent! You should still keep her separated for a long, long time. Your instincts were SO in tune with your birds.
thumbsup.gif

As soon as I seen the first symptom I seperated her and started treating her then did the research to find out what it might be...guess I'm bad for if one gets sick I pull out the antibodics and the anitbodic feed and the Vetrx and start treatin in case...

The treatment I just told you about may work much faster than a year. But if you do this with all you chickens, I doubt you will ever need another antibiotic for the life of your flock.

Back
Top Bottom