Chicken possibly with fowl corzya{UPDATE} both hen an rooster culled

Dont want you to feel anyone is ganging up on you, just want you to make an informed decision about this issue. This seems to be one of the "better safe than sorry" situations, since you have not had testing done on these birds. Even if it was hard to find them, there are more somewhere, birds without health issues. May set your timetable back, but it would make sense (to me) to start with birds that didn't come to you with issues to start with. JMHO. Good luck with your situation and decision.

Thanks I think I will get her better completley and try and find someone that just wants some for pets and understands the disease and see if they will take them. My understanding is that they may never show symptoms again unless stressed.

In the meantime I will keep my strict routine to keep form spreding it. Do you feel like all my chickens should be closed now? I just really dont feel that they are in any danger of havin it

Last edited:
Quote:
That's hard to say. As long as you are sure you've taken good quarantine precautions, you may want to watch the main flock for several months or even a year to see if symptoms pop up. Germs are so hard to deal with since we cant see it when we carry them around; we only see the results of contamination.

Quote:
I you breed her, the chicks will be carriers. She will continue to be ill. I culled my entire silkie flock because of this. It is a lose-lose situation. It is not your fault, but you are not understanding that she will NOT just get over this. Chickens do not get "colds". Even if I had paid $1,000 for the hen, I would cull her.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/206600.htm

Infectious coryza is an acute respiratory disease of chickens characterized by nasal discharge, sneezing, and swelling of the face under the eyes. It is distributed worldwide. The disease is seen only in chickens; reports of the disease in quail and pheasants probably describe a similar disease that is caused by a different etiologic agent.
In developed countries such as the USA, the disease is seen primarily in pullets and layers and occasionally in broilers. In the USA, it is most prevalent in commercial flocks in California and the southeast, although northeastern USA has recently experienced significant outbreaks. In developing countries, the disease often is seen in very young chicks, even as young as 3 wk of age. Poor biosecurity, poor environment, and the stress of other diseases are probably the main reasons why infectious coryza is more of a problem in developing countries. The disease has no public health significance.

Etiology:
The causative bacterium, Haemophilus paragallinarum (gallinarum) is a gram-negative, pleomorphic, nonmotile, catalase-negative, microaerophilic rod that requires nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (V-factor) for in vitro growth. When grown on blood agar with a staphylococcal nurse colony that excretes the V-factor, the satellite colonies appear as dewdrops, growing adjacent to the nurse colony. V-factor-independent H paragallinarum have been recovered in South Africa and Mexico. The most commonly used serotyping scheme is the Page scheme, which groups H paragallinarum isolates into 3 serovars (A, B, and C) that correlate with immunotype specificity.

Epidemiology and Transmission:
Chronically ill or healthy carrier birds are the reservoir of infection. Chickens of all ages are susceptible, but susceptibility increases with age. The incubation period is 1-3 days, and the disease duration is usually 2-3 wk. Under field conditions, the duration may be longer in the presence of concurrent diseases, eg, mycoplasmosis.
Infected flocks are a constant threat to uninfected flocks. Transmission is by direct contact, airborne droplets, and contamination of drinking water. “All-in/all-out” management has essentially eradicated infectious coryza from many commercial poultry establishments in the USA. Commercial farms that have multiple-age flocks tend to perpetuate the disease. Egg transmission does not occur. Molecular techniques such as restriction endonuclease analysis and ribotyping have been used to trace outbreaks of infectious coryza.

Clinical Findings:

In the mildest form of the disease, the only signs may be depression, a serous nasal discharge, and occasionally slight facial swelling. In the more severe form, there is severe swelling of one or both infraorbital sinuses with edema of the surrounding tissue, which may close one or both eyes. In adult birds, especially males, the edema may extend to the intermandibular space and wattles. The swelling usually abates in 10-14 days; however, if secondary infection occurs, swelling can persist for months. There may be varying degrees of rales depending on the extent of infection. In Argentina, a septicemic form of the disease has been reported, probably due to concurrent infections. Egg production may be delayed in young pullets and severely reduced in producing hens. Birds may have diarrhea, and feed and water consumption usually is decreased during acute stages of the disease.

Lesions:
In acute cases, lesions may be limited to the infraorbital sinuses. There is a copious, tenacious, grayish, semifluid exudate. As the disease becomes chronic or other pathogens become involved, the sinus exudate may become consolidated and turn yellowish. Other lesions may include conjunctivitis, tracheitis, bronchitis, and airsacculitis, particularly if other pathogens are involved. The histopathologic response of respiratory organs consists of disintegration and hyperplasia of mucosal and glandular epithelia and edema with infiltration of heterophils, macrophages, and mast cells.

Diagnosis:
Isolation of a gram-negative, satellitic, catalase-negative organism from chickens in a flock with a history of a rapidly spreading coryza is diagnostic. The catalase test is essential, as nonpathogenic Haemophilus organisms, which are catalase-positive, are present in both healthy and diseased chickens. A PCR test that can be used on the live chicken and that has proved superior to culture, even in developing countries, has been developed. Production of typical signs after inoculation with nasal exudate from infected into susceptible chickens is also reliable diagnostically. No suitable serologic test exists; a hemagglutination-inhibition test is the best of the available tests. Swelling of the face and wattles must be differentiated from that seen in fowl cholera ( Fowl Cholera: Introduction). Other diseases that must be considered are mycoplasmosis, laryngotracheitis, Newcastle disease, infectious bronchitis, avian influenza, swollen head syndrome (ornithobacterosis), and vitamin A deficiency.
While currently found only in South Africa and Mexico, the presence of a V-factor-independent H paragallinarum must also be considered. The H paragallinarum PCR is an ideal diagnostic tool in this situation.

Control and Treatment:
Prevention is the only sound method of control. “All-in/all-out” farm programs with sound management and isolation methods are the best way to avoid the disease. Replacements should be raised on the same farm or obtained from clean flocks. If replacement pullets are to be placed on a farm that has a history of infectious coryza, bacterins are available to help prevent and control the disease. USDA-licensed bacterins are available, and bacterins also are produced within states for intrastate use. Bacterins also are produced in many other countries. Because serovars A, B, and C are not cross-protective, it is essential that bacterins contain the serovars present in the target population. Vaccination should be completed ~4 wk before infectious coryza usually breaks out on the individual farm. Antibodies detected by the hemagglutination-inhibition test after bacterin administration correlate with protective immunity. Controlled exposure to live organisms also has been used to immunize layers in endemic areas.
Because early treatment is important, water medication is recommended immediately until medicated feed is available. Erythromycin and oxytetracycline are usually beneficial. Several new-generation antibiotics (eg, fluoroquinolones, macrolides) are active against infectious coryza. Various sulfonamides, sulfonamide-trimethoprim, and other combinations have been successful but must not be used in layers. In more severe outbreaks, although treatment may result in improvement, the disease may recur when medication is discontinued.
Preventive medication may be combined with a vaccination program, if started pullets are to be reared or housed on infected premises.​

Last edited:
I understand she will not shed the disease just the symptoms. I never said she would get rid of it. And Again Im gettin back and forth on whether or not its passed to the eggs.. However I have decided not to keep them or any eggs. Im going to see If i cant get rid of this last sympotom of hers and see if I can find someone that only wants some for pets and understands the disease. Somewhere I know they will not infect others and will never leave the place. I understand everyone saying cull cull....if she was still sick i would but I dont see the harm in lettin them live a life as long as Its not puttin anyones flock in danger including mine. Also its still not 100% that she has that. Shes never been tested, however all the signs point to it.

I went through much of the same ordeal this past summer with my whole flock and if there was an odor to your hen, with the symptoms that she had, I would say yes to the Coryza. That is the only chicken disease that carries an odor with it.

You really are in a big predicament with your hen, because she very well could be a carrier. I would not in any circumstance put her back with your flock or the rooster. It is highly contagious and your flock will be infected. You need to think seriously about what you want to do with your hen now. One option would be is that you could continue to treat her and keep her separate from the flock. If she is a carrier, signs of illness will perk back up within a years time. Another option would be to cull her, which I know sounds harsh, but sometimes has to be done. I had to cull 10 of mine. That is a decision that needs to be made by you.

My heart goes out to you. I am happy to hear however, that you have at least been able to contain this disease to her and that you aren't dealing with your whole flock being sick. If you need any help or have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Back
Top Bottom