Chicken Prison Completed

So we've been dealing with our birds just barely being able to get up on the top rail of the chainlink section of our extended run. The t-post fence you see in the background has never been an issue because there's no bar for them to see to try and jump up on.

Anyhow here was our solution, hopefully.

The one closeup shows whats going on. Top rail cut to 12" attached to the fence with t-brackets meant for gates. Two 1/8" holes drilled in each piece with 17 gauge steel fence wire running through each piece. Topped off with plastic mesh tied to pall the posts, fence and wire.View attachment 3445023View attachment 3445026View attachment 3445027View attachment 3445028
A very snazzy set up :)

I am eager to see if this works. Our girls have a 4’ high fence with 2’ of chicken wire on top, and a couple of very determined gypsy chicks still manage to get out! They flop up to the top of the chicken wire and perch there for a moment trying to get their balance (it’s not taut anymore so it leans in kind of like yours). It’s so funny to watch, flapping their wings and leaning forward, then back—they remind me of old footage of someone trying to regain their balance on a tightrope. 🤣

An update, none have got out OVER the fence since the "prison" set up has been in place.

However, the inmates have now figured out how to get out in one or two places UNDER the chainlink fence where it doesn't go completely to the ground.

There's a couple spots where the fence sat a couple inches off the ground and since they've starting digging near those areas one or two prisoners have pulled a Shawshank.

Not sure yet what we're going to do about this. I have to admit in all my research on here and elsewhere I had no idea chickens were such escape artists.

There's a couple spots where the fence sat a couple inches off the ground and since they've starting digging near those areas one or two prisoners have pulled a Shawshank.

Not sure yet what we're going to do about this. I have to admit in all my research on here and elsewhere I had no idea chickens were such escape artists.
If you see them slowly walking around the yard, shaking dirt out of their pant legs, you'll know what's up!

Also confiscate little plastic spoons and any pin up posters on the wall!

Back
Top Bottom