Chicken psychology?

DelBlueHen

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 25, 2013
I have a hen who got sick a little while ago, and I took some advice given to me by our wonderful chickeners here. The hen was at the bottom of the pecking order. After I took her and gave her a warm bath, some calcium, and had her spend the night in a cage in the basement, she was fine. (Thanks again for the posters who helped me!) Anyway, when I first put her back in the run, the usual culprits started right in pecking her. I shouted, "Cut it out!" Immediately after that, she is no longer the shy, cringing, bottom of the totem pole bird! She now has "self-esteem," and is "respected" (some anthropomorphism) by the other birds, including the dominant hen! She no longer hangs back while I'm feeding treats and is right up front, holding her own! She even pushed a dominant hen out of a dust-bathing spot. ???

Would love to know what goes on in their chicken minds...
caf.gif

Last edited:
I have a hen who got sick a little while ago, and I took some advice given to me by our wonderful chickeners here. The hen was at the bottom of the pecking order. After I took her and gave her a warm bath, some calcium, and had her spend the night in a cage in the basement, she was fine. (Thanks again for the posters who helped me!) Anyway, when I first put her back in the run, the usual culprits started right in pecking her. I shouted, "Cut it out!" Immediately after that, she is no longer the shy, cringing, bottom of the totem pole bird! She now has "self-esteem," and is "respected" (some anthropomorphism) by the other birds, including the dominant hen! She no longer hangs back while I'm feeding treats and is right up front, holding her own! She even pushed a dominant hen out of a dust-bathing spot. ???

Would love to know what goes on in their chicken minds...
caf.gif
I think they are still wondering where their nuggets are???
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom